Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/4/2001 9:24:28 PM EDT
is it legal to sell a gun in florida to someone who has a D.U.I. conviction and why yes or no.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:55:47 PM EDT
Is a DUI a felony offence in Fla?
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:03:01 PM EDT
Don't think a first offense is a felony. But repeat offenses probably are. The simple answer is "HABITUAL DRUNKARD" If I remember correctly, I saw that question on the last form I filled out to buy a gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 11:08:16 PM EDT
Lets see if I can remember the questions 1) Are you a U.S. Citizen ? 2) Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor crime of domestic violence ? 3) Do you have any outstanding warrants ? 4) Have you ever been adjudicated mentally incompetent ? 5) Are you a habitual drunkard ? 6) Are you a habitual drug user ? 7) Are you over 18 for a long gun, 21 for a handgun ? Not sure about the order of the questions, but the correct answers are Yes, No......, Yes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:20:08 AM EDT
The drunkard question must be a new one. I've never seen it on the form before.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:49:51 AM EDT
I might be wrong about whther it is on the form or not, but it is listed in some states as a banned group of persons. E.G. A guy who has repeat D.U.I.s might be considered a habitual drunkard and therefore he shouldn't be sold a gun. I'm not sure which states have this rule, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:07:27 AM EDT
I believe the form that we must fill out is federal is it not?
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:37:48 PM EDT
Florid Law Says:
It is unlawful for the following persons to own, possess or use any firearm: drug addicts, [b]alcoholics[/b], mental incompetents, "vagrants" and "undesirables" and "persons in or about a place of nuisance."
View Quote
As I said, I do not remember for sure whether it appeared on the form, but here is the actual law.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:02:32 PM EDT
The bigger question is how do they define someone as having a drug or alchohol problem or more specifically, what is their legal definition of a drug addict, alchololic etc...? If someone has a solitary DUI that wasn't a felony, ie: property damage, injury or is'nt a multiple offender, there shouldn't be a problem. A quick phone call or 2 should clear things up. I would start by calling a licensed dealer or the state DOJ and ask them.
Top Top