Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 6:39:28 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to send my Form 1 off to the ATF so I can put a 10.5" 9mm upper on my preban lower.  What form will I have to submit if I also wanted to utilize a 14.5" M4 .223 upper on the same lower?  Will this require a separate Form 1 and separate $200 tax?  Also, if I ever moved to a state that didn't allow SBR's, I could just put a 16" upper back on the lower, and it becomes a regular AR15 again, correct? Also, I'm confused about the manufacturer and serial number requirements.  Do I need to inscribe a serial number other than the one that is already on the lower? Is the original serial number the one I put on the Form 1?  Thanks!

Andy
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 1:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
MedicAJ:  You can reverse the SBR status at a later time by removing the short upper, and sending a letter to the NFA branch informing them of the removal, and requesting that your lower be removed from the NFA registry.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The serial # of the lower is the one that you put on the form. If you want to you can add your initials to the serial number(it states that on the form but isn't necessary, and THEN you have to scribe them in the gun.)
You also have to scribe your name city, state on the lower somewhere [b]visable[/b], BUT they want the ORIGINAL manufactur's name on the form.
Make you list multiple calibers on the form if you plan on using different cals.  .22 is not necessary.

If you put 10.5" as the barrel leingth you can ALWAYS go larger but NEVER shorter!!!!
So put 5", especially if you ever want to put a DOE 9MM 6" upper on it.

If you ever move into a state that doesn't allow SBRs then you have to contact the ATF and remove the SBR status (which might require another $200 tax).  You can't just remove the short upper and put on a "legal" length.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
SGB: If the SBR is a post ban, it must still follow the postban rules.  If it is preban, it is still preban and you can have all the goodies.

Bishop: It is free to remove a SBR from the NFA list, i dont know if you must grind the information you engraved on the gun off.  You cannot remove a Machine gun without destroying the receiver; cutting off the selector lug on an M14 receiver (doing so makes the receiver semi-only), for example, is not enough.  In the eyes of the ATF, once a MG always a MG.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SGB: If the SBR is a post ban, it must still follow the postban rules.  If it is preban, it is still preban and you can have all the goodies.

Kharn
View Quote

So you can convert a postban AR to a SBR?  I had a friend ask me this question last night.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
a ar 15 AOW is exempt from the 94 crime bill thu becouse it isnt a rifle or a pistol or a shotgun

take a lower that NEVER had a butt stock on it
key word here NEVER and fill out form one then permentaly fix a foward assit on the thing and there ya go
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Use the existing serial #, leave it at that.
As far as maker ID, leave the original manufacturer marks alone. The only thing ATF wants you to do is mark your first initial, last name and city/ state. You can do this under the pistol grip on that large "flat". You can change calibers all you want, people will say ammend with ATF, and do same with barrel length, just put 7.5" and move on.
Pre-ban can be Pre-ban or post featured,,,Post ban can only be Post-ban featured.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
SBG,

Have you considered a suppressed (internally) 9mm upper?  Check out Coastal Gun's upper- I'm currently awaiting both the Form 1 (for my pre-ban lower) and the Form 4 for Coastal's upper- it's torture.  Check them out over on Bower's board ([URL]subguns.com[/URL]- NFA section)
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top