Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 4:37:46 PM EDT
I heard that is was and was not legal to remove the sear block on a Preban Colt Lower?  I was told that the sear block was put in by Colt because of Massachusetts Law, and was legal to remove if you were not living in Massachusetts. I also heard that it was illegal to remove the sear block.  Please clarify.......
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do you want to remove it?

Assuming you have a legal reason to do so….

Bushmaster does not manufacture their lower receivers with a sear, so I think it is a voluntary thing that some manufactures do?

Just buy a Bushmaster and save your lower receiver from a hatchet job.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Here we go again. [BD]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you can remove it. There is no legal requirement to have it. You don't have to have a reason to remove it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, you can remove it. There is no legal requirement to have it. You don't have to have a reason to remove it.
View Quote

True, but I can only think of three logical reasons for going through the trouble of removing it:
1) You have a registered lighting link.
2) You just really like the looks of the inside of the rifle without the block.
3) You are a licensed and legitimate machinegun manufacturer and can legally play with all the fun stuff.

Not that I ideologically support all of these unconstitutional laws, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to get busted for breaking them.  If you do get busted for doing something that breaks one of these unconstitutional laws, please argue your case in court on the basis of the 2nd amendment and not some other indirect argument. We need some good legal victories in the court system based on the 2nd Amendment.  Take it to the Supreme Court!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If you do get busted for doing something that breaks one of these unconstitutional laws, please argue your case in court on the basis of the 2nd amendment and not some other indirect argument. We need some good legal victories in the court system based on the 2nd Amendment. Take it to the Supreme Court!
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, but if you or your attorney wants to argue it only on the basis of the 2nd Amendment, you better either find a better attorney or get prepared for a very long prison sentence. That should be a last ditch argument because its a loser.  Again, don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be defeatist, I'm just being realistic.

...and yes, I am an attorney.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#7]
See the link posted by Stokes.  Colt voluntarily put the block in their Blue Label guns when they decided to become Politically Correct.

It is not mandated by any local, state or federal law, therefore, you cannot be in violation of any law if you remove it.

You only need one reason to remove it - you want to.  Just make sure you choose a good smith like Kurt (KKF) who will do the job right.

They make dandy neckchain ornaments.  Keep it as a reminder of the really stupid "real" gunlaws we have to deal with every day.

Moe Mensale
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes you can remove it. A lot of us don't like those blocks because they are annoying. I personnally take it like a slap in the face from Colt(we just don't trust you to be a responsible gunowner). Besides they get in the way of several aftermarket set trigger upgrades. Same goes for the different pin sizes, tough to find the right accessory sometimes because the non milspec parts make it a pain.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
True, but I can only think of three logical reasons for going through the trouble of removing it:
1) You have a registered lighting link.
2) You just really like the looks of the inside of the rifle without the block.
3) You are a licensed and legitimate machinegun manufacturer and can legally play with all the fun stuff.
View Quote

Also you forgot:
4) because I want a 2 stage or adjustable trigger
5) because I feel like it
6) because I want to tell colt fu©k them for being a bunch of a$$holes!!!!!
7) because I can
8) why not?

A friend of mine has removed several with great results. I'm not sure what he does, but the outside finish is not harmed, in fact it still looks like the block is there from the outside from the two "dots". Also the finish inside is not harmed, and the rear inside looks like it's supposed to. I'll try to find out from him and post it up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
6) because I want to tell colt fu©k them for being a bunch of a$$holes!!!!!
View Quote

Hmmm...I would think not buying a Colt in the first place would accomplish that a lot better than buying their gun and hacking it apart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top