Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2001 10:58:25 PM EDT
A friend of mine wants to get into shooting, but his parents are antis. He needs a place where he can keep a gun and where he can get access to it when he wants it (thus eliminating me holding it for him). I suggested he rent a storage shed, but he felt that this might be a bit much for one gun, so he thought of a safety deposit box. Is it legal to keep guns in them? Does anyone know of a bank that allows this? Thanks.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My bank's policy is that a customer can store anything they want in their safe deposit box, as long as it it legal.

That being said, I know a lot of others, myself include who store fireams in their bank box.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If his [b]PARENTS[/b] are against it, it sounds like he is a minor, and legally prohibited from owning firearms.  Under those circumstances, providing him with a firearm, either buying it for him, or selling or giving him one of yours is a felony.  Remember the guy in Columbine?  

Then there is the problem involving carrying a gun into a bank.  Sooner or later, someone is going to see it no matter how careful he is.  Then there will be explanations as to how he came to possess it.

Finally, if he is not a minor and can legally possess firearms (I'm assuming a handgun since a safe deposit box that will hold a rifle would be really expensive), and he is living at home where his parents won't permit him to own a firearm, then he needs to move out on his own.  His parents have the absolute right to prohibit firearms under their roof.  It's their roof, their rules.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m assuming he is not a minor and just happens to be living with his parents.  I must agree with Dave G.  If the home is that of another, respecting the desires of the homeowner is appropriate.  If someone was visiting us, I would expect them to adhere to the rules of our home.

With respect to the initial question, using a safety deposit box creates unusual problems for purposes of storage.

While the bank may have its own policies and rules, we are concerned with what can legally be done without becoming subject to criminal penalties.

In some states, there are prohibitions, statutory, ordinance, or administrative in nature) from taking firearms into certain buildings.  He needs to make sure that it legal to carry a firearm into a bank in his jurisdiction?  In my state, for example, the storage of a firearm in a safety deposit box would be a clear violation of the law for most people (which specifies the only places where you can have a firearm), a conviction of which brings mandatory penalties.

I assume the firearm would need to be in some case or covered in some fashion.  Assuming there are no problems with the location, at what point does the firearm become concealed under the laws of the jurisdiction?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of college kids live at home to save cash.  I'm doing that right now, and my parents (antis, but forgiving enough to let me own guns) still arent happy about my firearms.  They even paid for my Homak to keep them in.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend is 19 and the gun he wants is either a AK-47, or a Remington 870. The cost of a safety deposit box for a long gun was one of the reasons I suggested he rent a shed. The crazy thing about this is that my friend is in ROTC, and his parents encouraged him in taking part in it, but the minute he wants to use a gun outside of the Army they get nervous. Anyone have any better ideas as to where he could keep one? Thanks.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
how about a indoor shooting range-gun shop. would they store it for a fee.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how about a indoor shooting range-gun shop. would they store it for a fee.
View Quote

This is probably the best idea. Get a membership and store em there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If he doesn't mind the ride, he can store 'em at my house.  I'll even "exercise" them regularly for him.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Why avoid the issue, what really needs to be done is that his anti parents, need to be given the info to become pro gun.

You(Wiggins)obviously own firearms, set up a meet where you can take your friend and his parents to the range.  Let them see that not all gun owners are evil, and that thier son is a responsible individual. (Hopefully they didn't let the govt be the parent)

Don't be a sheep.  EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION

They may be stubborn, but only because they are media biased, brainwashed, whatever.  These things should not be avoided.  Running away and hiding, doesn't solve anything.  We need to show these antis that they are wrong, it will take a long time but it is better than what we are headed for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top