Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2001 11:52:57 AM EDT
One of my college buddy's is moving to Maryland this summer after graduation and intends to bring his Glock with him.  Even though I live in MD, I'm not quite sure about the laws concerning handguns as all my cash goes towards AR15s.  Does anyone know if he has to register the Glock with the MDSP when he enters the state and what the penalty for not registering it is?

Thanks,
Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no answer, but let me offer my condolences for having to put up with a state that legislates bullshit laws like that.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
We've got links to the Maryland laws at [URL]http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite&naventryid=100[/url]

Technically we don't gun registration (except Assault Pistols, which are registered), but the State Police keep records anyway.  Since we don't, your friend won't need to register anything.  I can't find anything in the law dealing with bringing existing weapons into the state.  There are lots of rules for buying, selling and transferring NEW weapons.

Essentially, Pistols and non-Hbar AR-15's (and some other rifles) are considered [b]Regulated Firearms[/b].  New purchases are limited to 1 per month and a waiting period.  Private sales must go through an FFL and the State Police check.  

Weapons must be stored where kids under 16 can't access them.

He can call the MSP Licensing Division at 410-799-0191
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you guys ever tried calling the liscensing division (probably a different number then 799-0191, but my palm pilot isnt close by)?  I talked with them for a while, they didnt know that the FnFal was on the 'assault weapons' list, nor could they explain a few laws, basically saying "We'll arrest you and let the judge figure it out."  And thats the number FFLs are told to call with any questions they have.  Morons.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One of my college buddy's is moving to Maryland this summer after graduation and intends to bring his Glock with him.  Even though I live in MD, I'm not quite sure about the laws concerning handguns as all my cash goes towards AR15s.  Does anyone know if he has to register the Glock with the MDSP when he enters the state and what the penalty for not registering it is?
View Quote

Speaking as a dealer from Maryland, there is no direct registration of pistols (except "assault pistols") but we have defacto registration because all transfers have to go through the state police.  Your friend won't have to tell anyone about his pistol provided that it is legal to own this fair state.

Wazzat?  Well, we have this silly thing called the Maryland Handgun Roster and if it isn't on the list you can't buy or sell it.  If you owned it in the state before the magic date, you're fine.  I was told when the law passed that if you owned something that wasn't on the list, you couldn't bring it in with you.  See the list at http://www.inform.umd.edu/UMS+State/MD_Resources/MDSP/gunrostr.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]
So the state doesnt issue papers or anything?  They just keep a registration list in violation of the FOPA of '86.  Has anyone ever challenged a state on keeping records?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The state doesn't issue any papers, but they definitely keep a list.

Challenging the law would be virtually pointless, since the court systems will support any atrocities.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Wouldn't it be a federal case, and not a local case, considering that the State of Maryland is in flagerant violation of the FOPA?  I'd think a federal judge would be more likely to rule for gun owners then anyone who owes their life (and job) to Glendenning.  By the way, how long has MD kept records of the transfers of handgun and "assault rifle"?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know.

Willing to be the test case?

The State Police have been caught purposely holding up purchase "non-disapproved" status for buyers in black areas, often for months.

So they are guilty of racial discrimination as well.  Nobody cares.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top