Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 1:00:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I believe it is perfectly legal to mill that area out.  You can even mill out the drop in auto sear area so eventually you could drop in a registered drop in auto sear.

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't mind me asking, what's a Gloftoe?

Anyway, it should be legal to mill down the back shelf. This isn't attempting to manufacture a machine gun so I can't see how it could be. (BTW I'm not a lawyer). If anybody gives you grief over it just say you are trying to make it lighter. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
[:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
btt
Any lawyers out there?
View Quote

Yeah, but they only come out at night.

Sorry Steve, couldn’t help myself.[BD]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, I believe it is perfectly legal to mill that area out.  You can even mill out the drop in auto sear area so eventually you could drop in a registered drop in auto sear.

View Quote

Please explain to me the fundamental difference between inserting an M16 bolt and carrier (i.e. making an incomplete modification in the direction of creating a machine gun) and milling out the receiver (i.e. also making an incomplete modification in the direction of creating a machine gun). How can it *logically* follow that one is a violation of the law and the other is not a violation.

It must be that, it is not logical or the continuity lies in the fact that the BATF is making this up as they go along in every case.

I don't pretend to know the answer to your question but I have never read about anybody being charged with that offense.

Now I have a question for GLoftoe. What would make a pearson buy a receiver like that?

I would consider returning it as defective.

PigPen
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Pigpen, there is no loical reason it [i]should[/i] be illegal. IIRC, the government's "standard" for a semi-automatic AR is based something on the SP1 lower. It has a perfectly military shelf. All the blocks, high shelves, receiver "bumps" in the sear area, are all individual manufacturers add-ons that the ATF couldn't and shouldn't care less about. Additionally, there are many perfectly legal DIAS and LL's that require a mil-spec shelf.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW Gloftoe, Rather than mess with milling it out and spending $$ on labor and time, just get another lower. A postban bushmaster is one of the better things to build a sear gun out of. If you get your tax stamp before you buy the lower, I believe you can get a brand new lower built with M16 internals straight from the factory. Fun Fun Fun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, milling out the receiver won't make it a machine gun.  
View Quote

Neither will adding an M16 bolt and carrier.

It _would_ make it possible to drop in a RDIAS or a RLL (which are themselves considered machine guns) into my semi-auto rifle.  Yes, its a stupid law.  Yes, I think it's worthless.  But yes, I have to follow the law, and will continue to do so.

As far as why I bought a lower like that, I had heard good things about Rock River Arms, and I bought before I was even interested in a RDIAS or RLL.
View Quote

PigPen

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...If you get your tax stamp before you buy the lower, I believe you can get a brand new lower built with M16 internals straight from the factory. Fun Fun Fun.
View Quote

Wouldn't that be creating a new machine gun?
How do you get the tax stamp then get the receiver?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You can't. When you want to buy a NFA weapon the first thing you have to get done is your LEO sign off, and the type of weapon along with the serial #of the specific weapon are needed. And the only way you can get a "SEAR GUN" which I take to me a true sear not an RDIAS is to buy a RR. The only way you can take a post ban lower and mill/drill for a real sear is if you are a 07/SOT and only LEO's and other GOV agencies and other C3/C2 FFL's can but them. As far as milling the shelf out it's no big deal if you want you can hogout the inside so a real sear could be installed, BUT if you drill that sear hole your DONE you have just made an illegal machine gun. Any 07 or machinist for that matter should be able to mill that out for you for $40-$50 plus shipping. John
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...If you get your tax stamp before you buy the lower, I believe you can get a brand new lower built with M16 internals straight from the factory. Fun Fun Fun.
View Quote

Wouldn't that be creating a new machine gun?
How do you get the tax stamp then get the receiver?
View Quote

I was talking about use with a RDIAS. Either DIAS or drilled sear I tend to call sear guns, sorry if there was a confusion. You buy your RDIAS, get the paperwork, and then show it to Bushmaster guys. They then see that yes, this will be a LEGAL machine gun, and is therefor not affected by the semi-auto ban and they can manufacture it. They will still have to ship it to an FFL. Once there you place the DIAS in it and it becomes a legally assembled machine gun. I think there is one more step in between, like maybe they have to ship the lower and parts separately or something, but anyway I meant with a RDIAS, not a registered receiver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top