Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2001 10:56:36 PM EDT
When you apply for a drivers license out of state, do they take your license from the state you came from?

Are you allowed to keep your old one? If not why?
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When you apply for a drivers license out of state, do they take your license from the state you came from?

Are you allowed to keep your old one? If not why?
View Quote

In Minesota they clip the corner off your old one so you can still use it as picture ID
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]
It used to be that you could have multiple state drivers licenses, like interstate truckers or people who lived in two seperate states.

With the advent of all the drunk driving assholes killing innocent people and then going to different states and getting new licenses most states changed their laws.

Now most drivers licenses are based on where you live, so that makes your previous state license invalid.

States like Kailifornicommiecation require that you get a Kalifornia state drivers license within 10 days of moving there. They will make you surrender your previous states license before they will issue you a new one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I expect that with a lot of states now issuing "instant" DLs, they will take your old state's DL upon issuing a new one from your new state...at least that's the way it was done when I moved to Georgia.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Federal law only allows you have one valid driver's license at a time.  (There are a few very limited exceptions.) The Feds made the states bring their laws into compliance or lose federal highway funds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Most states you can just walk in, turn in your old license and get a new in state license. Thats how they did it here in AR anyway.

I *suppose* you could just not tell them you had a license, take the written and driving tests, pay the full fee, then you would have two licenses for two states.

But as was said I guess that's illegal is why they take up the old one anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
They will run your name, DOB and SSN through their computer system and your license info will pop up from your other state. When you surrender your license it will appear as a voluntary surrender in the original states DMV system.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I moved from NY to NJ about five years ago.  They took my oldie.

Norm
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
here in AZ they punch a hole in it and then give it back to u
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Out here they use a hole punch right over your DOB.  When I just renewed my liscence, I had to beg the woman to let me keep it.  I informed her that the picture was from when I had a full beard and was taken the day I met my wife.  

She finally gave in, punched the DOB and gave it back to me. I had to ask to keep it first and then beg her to do so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, there are many postings here.  So, here's my $.02

I moved to Texas from California about three years ago.  My Cal DL was issued for five years just before I left.  When I got to Texas, I registered the cars in here but kept the vehicles titled in California (that's allowed).  I was issued a six-year TX DL.  Texas did take my Cal DL.  My wife applied for her TX DL on a different date and at a different DPS (Dept. of Public Safety) office.  Texas also took her Cal DL.

I thought that Texas sent the Cal DL back to California for cancellation or something.  After living here two years I became curious if my Cal DL had been canceled.  A friend back in California works for an insurance agent and had access to DMV records.  He checked my old Cal DL # and it showed still valid with the original expiration date.  I thought that mine had slipped through the cracks, so I had him check the wife's.  Her Cal DL is also valid.  Apparently the states aren't communicating very well.

TT
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
New Mexico punched a hole in my Illinois license and gave it back to me.  Indiana kept my New Mexico license.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]
CA punches a hole in the out of state lics when you apply for a CA DL.

I just applied for a TX DL and they took my CA one. I asked them if I could keep it and they said no they are obligated to send it back to CA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If you just need a state issued ID card showing residence in your new state so you can buy handguns, most states issue a photo id, like for people who arent allowed to drive but need ID.  Just go down to the DMV and ask about a state issued photo ID for people that cant drive, they'll help you out.  It will probably cost like $5-20 for a card that lists your in-state address, has your age and photo on it and is good for a few years.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know why anyone in the Military would even bother to get a drivers liscense from state they are stationed in.
49 of the states recognize expired drivers licenses from out of state with a valid military ID card.
I haven't renewed my DL in 10 years......it expired 7 years ago.
Still good to go!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Clearfire,  I spent 21 years in the Army with a driver's license from my home state.  If you are station in another state, you must either have a valid driver's license from your home state or one from the state in which you're stationed.  My Nevada driver's license had a sticker on it stating that it was valid for up to 90 days after I left active duty.  Not all state do this. Also, in order to get a military license, you had to have a valid state license.  The key word is valid. Your home of record can't be state A, be stationed in state B and have a license from state C.  All this is covered under the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
When I got my AZ license a couple weeks ago, I asked for my CA license back. They punched a hole in it and returned it to me. The hole is actually right above my DOB, you can still make out the date.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top