Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2017 9:26:03 PM EDT
Not good for the innocent, law abiding joe. I'd still take my chances.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/03/floridas-stand-your-ground-law-ruled-unconstitutional-by-judge.html
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"In states without the "stand your ground law," people must retreat first before using force. "

How do they slip this junk in?

Virginia has NO STATUTE law for the use of lethal force.

Not for ANYONE including law enforcement.

We all have the same case law rules.

We have an extensive set of case law.
Much of it is State Supreme Court cases.

We had no State level Appellate Courts until the early 1970s.

Appeals went to the State Supreme Court.

If you are present in any place you are legally allowed to be in Virginia you may meet deadly force with deadly force under a 'reasonable man' doctrine.

There is no requirement to retreat if you are legally present.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not good for the innocent, law abiding joe. I'd still take my chances.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/03/floridas-stand-your-ground-law-ruled-unconstitutional-by-judge.html
View Quote

A county trial judge. Yawn. His opinion is not binding across the state, and likely not even in Miami-Dade.

Wake me when the FL Supreme Court says its unconstitutional. Until then, I'm not gonna get too concerned.

And I agree completely with Brickeye, our state has some very strong case law regarding self defense.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The reason stand your ground laws came into being was because of crazy laws where the state expected you to jump out a window when someone broke into your house.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A county trial judge. Yawn. His opinion is not binding across the state, and likely not even in Miami-Dade.

Wake me when the FL Supreme Court says its unconstitutional. Until then, I'm not gonna get too concerned.

And I agree completely with Brickeye, our state has some very strong case law regarding self defense.
View Quote
And the libs have no idea since it is not statutory law.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The judge ruled the changes made to the law were not legal, requiring the prosecutor to disprove the defendant's claim of self defence at the pre-trial hearing.
"As a matter of constitutional separation of powers, that procedure cannot be legislatively modified,” Hirsch wrote.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top