Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2017 10:49:55 AM EDT
I returned a malfunctioning item (that was still under warranty) to a company at their request

After examining the item I was promised a replacement.

That was 90 days ago, and now it seems they are dodging me.

Unfortunately, they are out of State, so paying them a visit is out of the question

What recourse do I have to either get them to make good on their promise or refund my money (~$250)

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact that state's Better Business Bureau.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
90 days with no contact? I'd out them with a quickness.
Give them 1 final notice that if they do not respond within say 3 business days, you will..

-Contact the BBB
-Contact the state's AG office and file a complaint
-Contact the local police and file a report of theft (will it do much, probably not, but fuck it why not)
-Contact their local news station and see if they will do a piece on the business (investigative "on your side" type)
-Publicly announce the situation on their FB page, Yelp and Google +
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I would dispute the charge if you paid with a card.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact that state's Better Business Bureau.
View Quote
Why?  The BBB can't force shit.  They have the same legal powers as Yelp or Angie's list.  All they can do is ask the company to work with you and then give them a bad score if they don't.

Might want to try the FTC instead.  Or try disputing the charge if you can.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why?  The BBB can't force shit.  They have the same legal powers as Yelp or Angie's list.  All they can do is ask the company to work with you and then give them a bad score if they don't.

Might want to try the FTC instead.  Or try disputing the charge if you can.
View Quote
Because a lot of businesses belong to the BBB and care about their rating/standing with them. However if they are not  a member then it doesn't mean much.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Why would you "report a theft?"

It's a civil matter.  Go to small claims court if you feel the need to get the government involved.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
BBB is useless.  This is why you pay using a credit card, the merchant will get bent over.  I would have disputed the charge already.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BBB is useless.  This is why you pay using a credit card, the merchant will get bent over.  I would have disputed the charge already.
View Quote
You only have 60 days after the item appeared on a CC bill to contest the charge.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because a lot of businesses belong to the BBB and care about their rating/standing with them. However if they are not  a member then it doesn't mean much.
View Quote
Eh, that's about the only time it might matter.  ... unless the company paid extra for good marks.

Yeah that's happened.  Back in 2013 someone bought a membership for Hamas and  within 24 hours of the purchase, they had an A- rating.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You only have 60 days after the item appeared on a CC bill to contest the charge.
View Quote
I saw a merchant who got hit with one after 540 days.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The CC could create a charge-back but is not REQUIRED after 60 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top