Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2017 12:02:20 AM EDT
Ok, I'm going to try to make this simple.

Party A has CCW

Party B does not

------

Party A wants a Glock lower to builds custom Glock out of

Party B wants factory Glock parts to build a 80% Glock out of

Party A buys a factory Glock

Party B pays party A for the upper and LPK.

----

Are any laws broken or violated? (I know the answer but parents are getting upset at due to ignorance.)

(Please cite Law for reference.)
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
To my knowledge, as long as party A and B are non felon residents of the same state and no serial numbered receivers are changing hands, this is a good sale.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You're transferring non-serialized parts that could probably be ordered from Brownells if you wanted. Not a problem.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds ok, the serialized frame is the firearm. Buyer of the firearm is keeping the frame. Selling just the parts is fine. Parts are just parts and aren't a firearm.

Now if it was the other way around. Like A bought a gun and kept the parts and sold the frame to B, that would be seen like a straw purchase. Since the buyer didn't buy the firearm for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds ok, the serialized frame is the firearm. Buyer of the firearm is keeping the frame. Selling just the parts is fine. Parts are just parts and aren't a firearm.

Now if it was the other way around. Like A bought a gun and kept the parts and sold the frame to B, that would be seen like a straw purchase. Since the buyer didn't buy the firearm for themselves.
View Quote
Nope, party with CCW has the receiver. But, their parents are loosing their shit over it, the problem is, the two parties are best friends.

Party A's parents are threatening to get the police involved if the rest of the gun doesn't turn up tomorrow (are handed over even though the parts were paid for)
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Party A's parents are threatening to get the police involved if the rest of the gun doesn't turn up tomorrow (are handed over even though the parts were paid for)
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Parents? How young are these people? Maybe they should give the parts back then... Don't want the cops being called. Just give back the money and get the parts back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Parents? How young are these people? Maybe they should give the parts back then... Don't want the cops being called. Just give back the money and get the parts back.
View Quote
Unfortunately both parties are 24 and one still lives with their parents. Party A doesn't have the money to give back for the parts.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I intend to call Department of Firearms and special lisencing unit tomorrow for clarification for both parties.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The frame is the reg part.  Since the frame was not sold just the gut it's legal.  If Brownell's or Midway had them in stock they could be shipped to your front door.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like Party A's parents can kiss party B's buttholio.......  The policio will probably have a laugholio at a 24 yo's parents ignorance, and tell them to go get bent(io).  

Good luck OP, but sounds like all is good to go here, other than snowflake parent rage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like Party A's parents can kiss party B's buttholio.......  The policio will probably have a laugholio at a 24 yo's parents ignorance, and tell them to go get bent(io).  

Good luck OP, but sounds like all is good to go here, other than snowflake parent rage.
View Quote
Yeah, be gentle lol, they are good people just...ignorant.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]
edited - not GD
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are any laws broken or violated? (I know the answer but parents are getting upset at due to ignorance.)

(Please cite Law for reference.)
View Quote
That's not how laws work. Can you cite what law forbids selling everything except the frame to someone who doesn't have a pistol permit? There will never be a law which explicitly allows something (unless it is as an exemption to a broader law which explicitly outlaws the broader something).

If there is no law forbidding it, it is presumptively lawful.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, be gentle lol, they are good people just...ignorant.
View Quote
Well, I've never been accused of that (gentle).  

But in this case, have you tried to educate them?  obviously they are worrying about the serialized slide, which I can see someone not familiar with guns (and gun laws) confusing.  Try to sit down with them and explain it, and also explain that if they want the parts back, you need to be reimbursed in full, in cash....  let them take it up the money with their own son, if they feel they must.....    but dang.....   I just don't see getting into someone else's business that deep......  are the parents severely anti gun or something?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:39:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Well, I've never been accused of that (gentle).  

But in this case, have you tried to educate them?  obviously they are worrying about the serialized slide, which I can see someone not familiar with guns (and gun laws) confusing.  Try to sit down with them and explain it, and also explain that if they want the parts back, you need to be reimbursed in full, in cash....  let them take it up the money with their own son, if they feel they must.....    but dang.....   I just don't see getting into someone else's business that deep......  are the parents severely anti gun or something?
View Quote
Yep this. Try to educate the idiots if they don't understand then show them the federal laws on it and if they still are not smart enough to understand then just ask for money back and give the parts back.

ETA: Didn't realize Party A is OP. If so need to either move out of the basement or tell parents the law and if they don't understand said law MYOB.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know about your state, but this is how it should go.

Does anyone want to buy my gun.

A,  Yes I want it.

Me. Are you legally allowed to own a handgun? How old are you?

A Yes I can have it I'm 24.

Me sold

A to B, B do you want my extra parts?

B yes, heres the money

A heres the parts

Done

Why wouldn't that be legal unless they are under 18?  Dealer handgun sales at 21, private party at 18 last I checked
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nope, party with CCW has the receiver. But, their parents are loosing their shit over it, the problem is, the two parties are best friends.

View Quote

Party A needs to stop spending money on guns and save up enough so he can rent his own place.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Party A needs to stop spending money on guns and save up enough so he can rent his own place.
View Quote
Actually, I am party B, but my best friends parents (party A) are retarded and overreacting. I do still care about him and his family though, but I'm not taking a $500 loss on this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually, I am party B, but my best friends parents (party A) are retarded and overreacting. I do still care about him and his family though, but I'm not taking a $500 loss on this.
View Quote

1) My prior statement still stands, 24 is plenty old enough to be out of the nest.
2) The contract is between you and Party A.  He can deal with his parents, they are not your problem.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

1) My prior statement still stands, 24 is plenty old enough to be out of the nest.
2) The contract is between you and Party A.  He can deal with his parents, they are not your problem.
View Quote
We got it all figured out, though the reaction of the SLFU (special lisencing and firearms unit) of Ct to my call was...concerning.
---------
"Hello sir, I am asking about the legality of someone without a permit owning a handgun slide or parts, but not the serialized frame."
--------
"We do t deal with that stuff and I don't want to weigh in on those sort of things, that's not up to me to decide on and we don't like people doing that kind of thing."
--------
My face "then who am I supposed to ask those sort of questions, you guys are the CT firearms legal department?"
---------
"Again we don't deal with that sort of stuff and we don't want to encourage anyone to do that sort of business."
---------

After that I hung up the phone, but wtf, aren't they supposed to know CT gun laws?!?

I later got in touch with a CT firearms lawyer on speakerphone with his parents there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I later got in touch with a CT firearms lawyer on speakerphone with his parents there.
View Quote
good to hear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top