Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 9:33:24 AM EDT
My sub-division has been under construction for about 15years and the entrance to it hasn't been touched by the developer since he put in the fence, sign, vegetation etc. and it looks like shit.  It's my understanding that generally the developer is responsible for the entrance to the subdivision.  Is this true?  If so, what are my legal options, as he basically told me he's not going to doing anything and there's nothing I can do to make him?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
No HOA?  One thing they are good at is the entrance upkeep.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No HOA?  One thing they are good at is the entrance upkeep.
View Quote
Negative.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on how all the original paperwork was drawn up.
Most of the time it is the developers responsibility to maintain the roads, common areas and street lights until they are done building the development out.
However, there can be a time clause in the paperwork that says something like "responsible until construction is completed or 5 years"
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Put up a sign near it that says "Proudly Maintained by <Developer>"
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to look at the original "Final Plat", which should show the entrance area and how it is platted ie public Right of way or common property.  There may also be a "bill of assurance" that spell out maintenance.

Regarding time frame for maintenance, the subdivision may have been platted in multiple phases.

ETA.  HOA's are usually how these areas are handled.  (one of the only good things about HOA's
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thought of that but the guy is a D-bag.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You need to look at the original "Final Plat", which should show the entrance area and how it is platted ie public Right of way or common property.  There may also be a "bill of assurance" that spell out maintenance.

Regarding time frame for maintenance, the subdivision may have been platted in multiple phases.

ETA.  HOA's are usually how these areas are handled.  (one of the only good things about HOA's
View Quote
I'll have to dig into that. I know there's multiple stages and I think he's only into 2 out of 4. Didn't know when I built that there was multiple stages.  Was told I was the last on the block and a cul du sac was going in. Now I have a race track in front of the house.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Found out he has a 5' easement at the entrance. County codes office doesn't care and won't do anything to help. Signs may pop up over night.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Builders like to not release control of the HOA as long as they are still active in the development.

They do things like assign themselves a vote for every unimproved lot in the development.

This is not the only way that can be used to maintain control.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the more reason to publicly shame him.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He may have an attorney on retainer and can cost money for anyone he wants to poke at.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He may have an attorney on retainer and can cost money for anyone he wants to poke at.
View Quote
If you are discrete, no need to let him know it was you...or ask one of your friendly neighbors to post the sign.

Public shaming is effective, especially if this guy still has an active interest in the community/development.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top