Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 12:20:07 AM EDT
Ok, this thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1991248_The-delicious-80--chocolate-lower-thread.html is pure silliness.

However, I have plans for the mold.  Early after its release, our chemical sleuths figured out the super expensive 2-part epoxy AR15Mold was selling for it is remarkably similar to Task21, which would run me around $6 a lower.

So - Question 1.  If I accept no recompense for them, may I give away plastic, 100% functional AR lowers that I make to eligible Texas residents & ship to out of state FFLs as gifts to non-Texians?  Likely 20-40 units a year.  Will engrave maker, town, serial number, yada yada.  Legal, or no go w/o a manufacturer's FFL?

Question 2.  If the answer to Question 1 is no, not legal, then I plan to make 80% lowers by leaving out or taping over certain sections of the mold.  However, b/c of the way the mold is built, no matter which option I choose, the safety hole all the way through will always be cast into the lower.

Option a)  Leave the magwell insert out, meaning the magwell is solid, but the FCS pocket is fully formed, as used to be done on some old BATFE approved 80% designs.

Option b)  Leave the FCS well insert out, meaning the entire FCS pocket from front all the way to the takedown pin pocket is solid, with the exception of the safety hole.  Even the rear takedown pin hole will need to be drilled.  Similar to modern 80% lowers, w/ the exception of the safety hole.

Option c)  Combination of Options a & b, leaving both inserts out, but retaining the safety hole all the way through.

If you're wondering why the safety hole has to be cast into the receiver, AR15Mold.com makes it that way, and if I cut the safety hole form out, I'm locked into making only 80% lowers - it's $350 for a new mold.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Morning bump.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok, this thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1991248_The-delicious-80--chocolate-lower-thread.html is pure silliness.

However, I have plans for the mold.  Early after its release, our chemical sleuths figured out the super expensive 2-part epoxy AR15Mold was selling for it is remarkably similar to Task21, which would run me around $6 a lower.

So - Question 1.  If I accept no recompense for them, may I give away plastic, 100% functional AR lowers that I make to eligible Texas residents & ship to out of state FFLs as gifts to non-Texians?  Likely 20-40 units a year.  Will engrave maker, town, serial number, yada yada. Legal, or no go w/o a manufacturer's FFL?

Question 2.  If the answer to Question 1 is no, not legal, then I plan to make 80% lowers by leaving out or taping over certain sections of the mold.  However, b/c of the way the mold is built, no matter which option I choose, the safety hole all the way through will always be cast into the lower.

Option a)  Leave the magwell insert out, meaning the magwell is solid, but the FCS pocket is fully formed, as used to be done on some old BATFE approved 80% designs.

Option b)  Leave the FCS well insert out, meaning the entire FCS pocket from front all the way to the takedown pin pocket is solid, with the exception of the safety hole.  Even the rear takedown pin hole will need to be drilled.  Similar to modern 80% lowers, w/ the exception of the safety hole.

Option c)  Combination of Options a & b, leaving both inserts out, but retaining the safety hole all the way through.

If you're wondering why the safety hole has to be cast into the receiver, AR15Mold.com makes it that way, and if I cut the safety hole form out, I'm locked into making only 80% lowers - it's $350 for a new mold.
View Quote

You need an 07 FFL to make firearms.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Clearly, I do not.  The question is whether I can give them away after I have made them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clearly, I do not.  The question is whether I can give them away after I have made them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This was the question I was answering:

Quoted:

Legal, or no go w/o a manufacturer's FFL?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, fair enough.  Thx.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, kinda what I figgered.

Any idea about giving away 80% lowers w/ the safety hole already molded?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, 80% is just our term for it, I believe.  I think Tech Branch just sends you a letter saying what you sent us is not a gun.

I suppose I could cast one, & send it to them, see what they say.

I'm tempted to send them a chocolate one w/ the 3rd hole of happiness drilled, and ask 'em if it's a machinegun.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
So why are we giving away lowers, and do I get one?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#12]
When I can cast them for $6, why not?  Sure.  But I'm thinking I'll have to write a letter to BATFE 1st, and the answer will be no.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top