Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2017 9:33:29 PM EDT
So I have an AK listed on gunbroker.
I get a question from a potential buyer about payment.

Once we get that part resolved, he says this:

"I am a NYS resident, however, my FFL will accept this rifle on my behalf since NY has a police exemption for active duty cops such as myself."

I told him:

"I'm sorry. I will not be able to ship to your state."

He replies:

"I can get a PA dealer who will be willing to complete the transfer of the rifle to me. Will this help?"

Is it just me or does this sound sketchy as shit?
I don't know much about the laws of NY or PA, but it sounds like he might be trying to get me to commit 1 or more felonies.
I'd like to sell my gun, but I really like not waking up on a cot next to Bubba every morning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't think I would, but then again I am pessimistic about that kind of stuff......    I would think a shipment to a PA dealer would be legal? Then the NY resident would be on the hook for NY liability but I, like you, am WAAAAAAY to pretty for prison
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no legal reason why you can't ship it to the NY FFL. Dealers are exempt from the SAFE act and can transfer assault weapons to LEOs who are also exempt. The FFL is not going to transfer it to him unless he is in fact a LEO as he states, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump for more replies.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't on principle. Fuck new york.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't on principle. Fuck new York cops who have no problem having what their public cannot.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't on principle. Fuck new York cops who have no problem having what their public cannot.
This. One of the most aggravating parts of the SAFE act for me is that some citizens are more equal than others in their private life. Give them full auto shit and SBSs while on duty. That's fine. But making joe public get rid of things they LEGALLY obtained while letting "law enforcement" (which includes county correction officers btw) have whatever they want at home is bullshit of the highest degree.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Have him send you the FFL's FFL sheet and call them. If they're ok with accepting the transfer then I'd send it and that's it. They'll be the ones on the hook if they transfer it to him, not you. As for the moral side of it, I'm in agreement with the folks that would not ship to NY out of principal. Why should the cops be exempt from this insanity? They should experience all the pressure that regular citizens do. I was at a competition the other day and a cop pulls out his 9mm competition rigged up SBR. Something that is impossible 5 different ways for a regular citizen to have in NY. There was no legitimate reason for that cop to have it. He'll never use it in the course of his job, so as far as the banners are concerned, his only reason for having it is to kill as many people as possible, in as short a period of time as possible. What's the justification for his exemption?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't on principle. Fuck new york. Special exemptions are BS whats good for one is good for all
View Quote
Same with me
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have to agree with this
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#10]
If the FFL accepts it, it is not your problem, The FFL is transferring the gun to him not you.
And yes, as fucking ridiculous & unconstitutional as it is, LEO's are exempt from NY SAFE.
I'm in NY but if I lived in free America, I would not sell anything to a LEO that the serfs could not also own!
And FUAC2X
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
As already said, you can ship to an FFL in NY.

You SOLD the gun to him.  You transferring ownership, not possession.    If for whatever reason he cannot take possession of it, that's his problem.    If the FFL refuses it and returns it to you, you have fulfilled your contractual obligation, and it's up to him to figure out how to get it.

FWIW, a FFL could modify a non-compliant firearm to be NY compliant, and then transfer it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was at a competition the other day and a cop pulls out his 9mm competition rigged up SBR. Something that is impossible 5 different ways for a regular citizen to have in NY. There was no legitimate reason for that cop to have it. He'll never use it in the course of his job, so as far as the banners are concerned, his only reason for having it is to kill as many people as possible, in as short a period of time as possible. What's the justification for his exemption?
View Quote
Unless the gun was issued by the agency, N.Y. LEO'S still have to jump through the same tax stamp hoops as the rest of you to legally possess SBRs
The justification is their LEO status
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:13:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
especially people who where created more equal. may fuck be upon them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

especially people who where created more equal. may fuck be upon them.
View Quote
This,
 Screw him and his special status.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the FFL accepts it, it is not your problem, The FFL is transferring the gun to him not you.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
While others have said that you can ship it to the FFL I say... do what you want.  If you don't want to complete the transfer then just refund him and say, "Sorry no dice".

Just like how some manufacturers won't ship non-SAFE firearms to NY for LEO use.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unless the gun was issued by the agency, N.Y. LEO'S still have to jump through the same tax stamp hoops as the rest of you to legally possess SBRs
The justification is their leo status  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at a competition the other day and a cop pulls out his 9mm competition rigged up SBR. Something that is impossible 5 different ways for a regular citizen to have in NY. There was no legitimate reason for that cop to have it. He'll never use it in the course of his job, so as far as the banners are concerned, his only reason for having it is to kill as many people as possible, in as short a period of time as possible. What's the justification for his exemption?
The justification is their leo status  
Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top