Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 3:11:46 PM EDT
My brother works for a landscaping business - just as a laborer. The owner of the company does not "start the clock" until they get to the first job site, and also does not pay employees when they are in the company truck riding from landscaping job site to job site. Clock then stops when the job is done for the day, they are not paid for the ride back to the shop. Is this legit?

I've heard conflicting information on this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Illegal as fuck.

State labor board will make the owner bleed out the ass and the backpay will be shitloads. Have your bro call them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
May depend on state labor laws, and their employment agreements, if any.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the state, illegal in my AO.  But pretty sure this violates Fed rules.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
May depend on the state.  I used to landscape.  We got paid from the time we arrived at the shop in the AM till we left the shop in the PM.

This sounds illegal as hell.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
What state
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What state
View Quote

This.  Most will have an agency where employees can file a wage claim if they are shorted on pay based on hours worked.  He will need records of hours worked versus hours paid, hopefully he has this going back to when he started.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This.  Most will have an agency where employees can file a wage claim if they are shorted on pay based on hours worked.  He will need records of hours worked versus hours paid, hopefully he has this going back to when he started.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What state
And even a hand written record beats no record every time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]
OP here - sorry, didn't answer sooner but he works in INDIANA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Illegal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top