Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 2:19:15 AM EDT
So, My brother and I were planning on buying a pair of lowers and than building a pair of ARs. Thing is, he bought both lowers with his credit card, as he already had the account.

The plan was he would buy the lowers, and when they got to the FFL, we would each fillout the paperwork. I didnt think much of it till suddenly right this damn minute, and now im worried. Did we just fuck up and inadvertently break a law? Or is there something im missing and just started worrying over nothing?

We are both over 21 and live in Pennsylvania if that helps.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't be an issue if he gives/gifts you one. Or sales it FTF.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you legally own it?

-if yes, he gives it to you as a gift.
-if no, he owns two lowers now.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/pennsylvania/

Purchase

Any individual or dealer selling a handgun is required to sell or transfer it at the place of business of a licensed dealer or county sheriff’s office.  Transfers of all firearms (handguns, rifles and shotguns) by a licensed dealer are subject to an instant records check of the purchaser. The purchaser must sign a transfer application/record of sale for the purchase of a handgun.  No transfer application/record is necessary to transfer a rifle or shotgun.  There is a $2 fee for the instant check and a $3 firearm sale surcharge to cover telephone costs. Transfers of handguns between spouses, parent and child, grandparent and grandchild or between active law enforcement officers are exempt from the above requirements. Rifles and shotguns may be transferred between unlicensed individuals.  Antique firearms are exempt from the requirements regarding transfer of firearms through dealers.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're worried about a straw purchase, since you BOTH filled out the paperwork and did the background check I would think it would be a non issue.  I don't know PA laws though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on your FFL.

I've had some that won't do the transfer to anyone other than the person who's card was used for the purchase since it is traceable.

Note:  the BATFE is tracking firearm purchases at the FFL level via credit card transaction (this per my FFL).  IOW, if you purchase a firearm from a dealer (as opposed to a distributor) with a CC, it is being reported to/tracked by the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on your FFL.

I've had some that won't do the transfer to anyone other than the person who's card was used for the purchase since it is traceable.

Note:  the BATFE is tracking firearm purchases at the FFL level via credit card transaction (this per my FFL).  IOW, if you purchase a firearm from a dealer (as opposed to a distributor) with a CC, it is being reported to/tracked by the ATF.
View Quote
I don't believe this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't believe this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on your FFL.

I don't believe this.
Me either.  That would be a major violation of PCI without a warrant.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't you think posting this was a bit unwise?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#8]
No laws have been broken, there's no issue here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]
<-- FFL
Quoted:
View Quote

While it may be for your particular FFL due to some screw-ups he has made with his own business practices, that is absolutely not the case industry-wide.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your FFL is wholly and completely full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
He is FOS.

When I process a credit card transaction, nobody but me knows what it is for. Could be a gun, a scope, or a box of diapers. jeez, when will these idiot phucking dealers stop spouting such bullshit....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top