Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 10:56:41 AM EDT
I visited my hometown last week and had an 80% build party with a couple buddies.  One buddy bought the 80% lowers, the other bought the tools, and I brought the jig and LPKs.

I accidentally left my (now) stripped lower there when I left.  

So here's the deal.  It has no serial, because it's not required to by law.  But I don't think an FFL will ship or receive it, because he wouldn't be able to enter it into his book.

I would just say, screw it, and buy another 80% lower and tell my friend to keep it, but we're not in adjacent states, so I'm not sure of the legality of giving/transferring it to him.

So, short of having a friend drive 10 hours to deliver it, or a combined 20 hour drive for myself, how in the Sam Hill do I get it back?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I visited my hometown last week and had an 80% build party with a couple buddies.  One buddy bought the 80% lowers, the other bought the tools, and I brought the jig and LPKs.

So here's the deal.  It has no serial, because it's not required to by law.  But I don't think an FFL will ship or receive it, because he wouldn't be able to enter it into his book.

I would just say, screw it, and buy another 80% lower and tell my friend to keep it, but we're not in adjacent states, so I'm not sure of the legality of giving/transferring it to him.

So, short of having a friend drive 10 hours to deliver it, or a combined 20 hour drive for myself, how in the Sam Hill do I get it back?
View Quote
Of course they can enter it into their book - there are instructions for just such a thing, since no firearm before 1968 was required by law to have a serial number, and there are still millions of unseriallized factory firearms out there from the likes of Sears and Montgomery Ward and Western Auto.

Now, pantywaist FFLs who've never read their actual regulations or just whom are squeamish may refuse to receive an unserialled firearm, and that's their prerogative, but it's not a matter of law.

Unserialled firearms are to be entered into the A&D book as NSN (no serial number) and any additional description in another box on that line, as may be applicable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buddy ships to a transfer FFL in your state.  Call around to find one who isn't scared of a sterile gun, they do exist, and yes there is a process to log them in/out of the A&D book.

Alternatively, you gave your buddy the lower when it was still 80% and then you helped him build it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top