Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 6:21:22 PM EDT
Hi, long time lurker here. I was wondering if someone could answer some questions regarding a Canadian bringing firearms into the US. I would be temporarily importing them with an ATF form 6NIA (here).

1. How do they (the ATF) want a rifle/carbine with a collapsing stock measured for OAL, extended or collapsed?
2. Can I bring reloaded ammunition?
3. Can I as a non-resident legal alien open carry in Montana? From what I've read here it seems like I should be able to. Also can I conceal carry in my vehicle, and do I have a duty to inform police if I am pulled over?
5. Can I bring my Italian Garand, I believe that the only non US made part is the receiver.

Thanks, John
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
none of that sounds like a good idea to me.... However, I have no idea.

In for the education
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
1. OAL is measured with the stock extended.
2. Unsure.
3. It would appear so. Second Amendment Foundation filed a lawsuit against Montana about a year ago to allow resident aliens to get CWPs, but Montana only requires a CWP inside city limits, and does not require one at all for open carry. Vehicle carry does NOT require a CWP; you are in the clear here. Montana only has duty to inform if the officer asks.
4. Should be GTG.

Enjoy your stay in the US!

ETA: I am not a lawyer. You may wish to consult one prior to your trip.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, there is something about needing a 'hunting license' for a legal visitor to posses a firearm.
Or maybe that was to purchase a firearm.

The info was / is on the BATFE site, someplace.

Good luck, and make sure you do all the Canadian paperwork so you can take them back with you.
Getting guns into Canaukistan can be a hassle, at least according to folk lore.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. OAL is measured with the stock extended.
2. Unsure.
3. It would appear so. Second Amendment Foundation filed a lawsuit against Montana about a year ago to allow resident aliens to get CWPs, but Montana only requires a CWP inside city limits, and does not require one at all for open carry. Vehicle carry does NOT require a CWP; you are in the clear here. Montana only has duty to inform if the officer asks.
4. Should be GTG.

Enjoy your stay in the US!

ETA: I am not a lawyer. You may wish to consult one prior to your trip.
View Quote
This in red is what I thought, but wanted a second opinion.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC, there is something about needing a 'hunting license' for a legal visitor to posses a firearm.
Or maybe that was to purchase a firearm.

The info was / is on the BATFE site, someplace.

Good luck, and make sure you do all the Canadian paperwork so you can take them back with you.
Getting guns into Canaukistan can be a hassle, at least according to folk lore.
View Quote
The ATF removed the hunting licence/match invite requirement for Canadians a few years ago. But I'll probably still purchase a licence to be safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top