Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 10:05:05 AM EDT
Legal question about selling and shipping a rifle out of state.
I am a Texas resident and I am selling (actually gifting) a rifle to a friend who is a Michigan resident.
I realize I can ship it via usps or something to an FFL.

My question is can I ship it via a private transfer?
For example, I have a friend that delivers campers from Michigan to Texas about every week. Can I just package the rifle and have him drive it up?

Secondly, does it have to go get dropped at an FFL for my friend to pick up, or can it get shipped to my friend directly?
I'm guessing the FFL route, but just trying to save a couple buck without breaking the law.

Thanks for any advice!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Interstate transfers need to be done through an FFL- you will need to ship to one near your friend, that accepts shipments from non-FFLs.

I am actually not sure about the other question, but I actually think it would be fine, as you are transferring the rifle in-state to the shipper, who then completes the sale through an FFL as required. I am not a lawyer, and more knowledgeable people may disagree with my assessment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response. 
So the transfer must go through and FFL since it is interstate. 

Sounds like I can ship it any way I would like, or even take it to the FFL myself if I happen to be in Michigan?
I may be in Michigan next month so I could potentially bring the rifle with me and drop it at the FFL myself? I'm just a bit leery of shipping it via usps for some reason.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Legal question about selling and shipping a rifle out of state.
I am a Texas resident and I am selling (actually gifting) a rifle to a friend who is a Michigan resident.
I realize I can ship it via usps or something to an FFL.

My question is can I ship it via a private transfer?
For example, I have a friend that delivers campers from Michigan to Texas about every week. Can I just package the rifle and have him drive it up?
No, with only two narrow exceptions, Federal law requires an FFL to receive an interstate firearm shipment. As a nonlicensee you can ship it FedEx, UPS or USPS to a dealer in Michigan.

Secondly, does it have to go get dropped at an FFL for my friend to pick up, or can it get shipped to my friend directly?
I'm guessing the FFL route, but just trying to save a couple buck without breaking the law.
Shipping it direct to your friend means you both violate Federal law.
Ask your friend to find a dealer to receive it.

Thanks for any advice!
View Quote
<-----FFL/SOT
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the response. 
So the transfer must go through and FFL since it is interstate. 

Sounds like I can ship it any way I would like, or even take it to the FFL myself if I happen to be in Michigan?
Correct.
I may be in Michigan next month so I could potentially bring the rifle with me and drop it at the FFL myself? I'm just a bit leery of shipping it via usps for some reason.
I receive an average of 170 guns a month........all shippers are equally as bad as any other.
Pack the gun in bubble wrap, not newspaper. Shake the box, if the gun moves you need more packing material.
Insure for its actual value. Select Adult Signature on delivery.
Weigh and measure your box, then print out labels at FedEx/UPS/USPS websites. Whichever you choose FOLLOW their directions for shipping firearms. Do not drop off at a UPS Store or other third part retailer.

Thanks again!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses.
Just to clarify, I can legally ship the rifle via any means to Michigan to an FFL for the transfer.
That would include shipping it via a third party (not limited to usps, fedex, ups, etc), or delivering it directly to the FFL myself?

I will likely just ship it up via USPS, I just want to make sure I understand my options.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just to clarify, I can legally ship the rifle via any means to Michigan to an FFL for the transfer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No.
It must be USPS or a common carrier.

That would include shipping it via a third party (not limited to usps, fedex, ups, etc), or delivering it directly to the FFL myself?
You can use a common carrier (UPS/FedEx/other common carrier) to deliver the firearm to the FFL.
You can mail it USPS to the FFL.
You can deliver it yourself to the FFL.

You cannot have your friend Billy Bob the long haul trucker take it with him the next time he delivers a load of grapefruit to Michigan.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You cannot have your friend Billy Bob the long haul trucker take it with him the next time he delivers a load of grapefruit to Michigan.
View Quote
Lol. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top