Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2017 7:16:36 AM EDT
I'm not talking about solitary confinement but completely isolated from the outside world

So anyways you say get arrested and the  DA (who is in fact also a judge for extra weirdness) can decide the suspect cant have contact with the outside world or fellow prisoners.

As a lawyer you are bound by these rules as well. You cannot give your client any information about the outside world. Thermo nuclear war just broke out -> Cant tell your client, Wife dead->cant tell your client etc.  

You as a lawyer also can't give out any information to the family on anything. You technically cant tell them if your client is in critical condition or happily playing the harmonica in sing sing.

The purpose officially is to make sure the suspect cant frustrate the case, in reality its to mind fuck the the person to gain a confession  

Is such a system weird for the USA or do you have similar systems. For all those 'But muh DA' remember that you can get put in isolation for gun possession here.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm not talking about solitary confinement but completely isolated from the outside world

So anyways you say get arrested and the  DA (who is in fact also a judge for extra weirdness)
View Quote

The DA represents the government jurisdiction and is not a judge in the court where the trial takes place.

can decide the suspect cant have contact with the outside world or fellow prisoners.
View Quote

Unconstitutional. The accused has a right to counsel.

As a lawyer you are bound by these rules as well. You cannot give your client any information about the outside world. Thermo nuclear war just broke out -> Cant tell your client, Wife dead->cant tell your client etc.  
View Quote

What happens between an attorney and his client is confidential ......no one including a judge can prohibit an attorney from discussing any subject with his client.

You as a lawyer also can't give out any information to the family on anything. You technically cant tell them if your client is in critical condition or happily playing the harmonica in sing sing.
View Quote

The attorney can if his client gives permission. US privacy laws also extend to nurses telling family members about a patients medical condition.

The purpose officially is to make sure the suspect cant frustrate the case, in reality its to mind fuck the the person to gain a confession  
View Quote

Tough shit. While the accused may be held in isolation for a brief period, he has the right to an attorney. He can refuse to answer questions if he so desires.

Is such a system weird for the USA or do you have similar systems. For all those 'But muh DA' remember that you can get put in isolation for gun possession here.  
View Quote

Not weird, but not American. I'm not sure what you mean by 'But muh DA'. In the US, the common usage of "DA" is the District Attorney (who prosecutes the accused). In some states its called a Prosecuting Attorney or States Attorney. A judge in the US presides over a trial, ruling on matters of law. In nonjury cases he also renders the verdict.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the extensive info. To clarify you do have the right to an attorney but he/she is can be bound to not communicate any outside information to the suspect/external parties. Also cant give assistance during police questioning  

Thing is I will be starting criminal law practice after the summer (currently practice Dutch and Euro administrative law)  and was just re-reading the criminal procedure stuff. Was amazed that Dutch defence lawyers take it for granted and have never taken issue with a lot of things.

The 'Muh DA' was more a joke in the sense that the communications restriction between client and lawyer is justified here by the the fact that external communication could make it more difficult for the DA to get a to the 'truth' and conviction.

Weird thing is that the our DA is technically also a judge that can do things like order a wire tap in the investigation he/she is doing.  

When you go to trial here the DA has already presented the case and all the evidence in written form to the (panel) of trial judge(es). the next step is that the trial officially opens and the trial judges interrogate you client to ascertain guilt. During this time you don't have contact or provide assistance to said client. After everybody is done  you can make a case for the defence.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
OP is in the Netherlands.

Laws in other nations are often VERY different than the USA.

Any number of European Nations have systems with judges that are far more of an active participant in 'investigating' the crime and making decisions at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
We used to have a conviction rate of about 96% After a couple of really bad fuck ups in the the last couple of years (i.e. were people got long sentences in cases were is was blatantly obvious the suspect could not have committed the crime[*]) judges are looking at cases more closely and we are down to about a 90% conviction rate.

Thing is leftist here are always bitching about the unfair/racist US criminal justice system when I see a ton of thing here that complete ignore any concept of human rights

[*] You know like the laws of pysics preventing a person being in two places at once and the whole charge relying on this
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If a judge tried to order any of that stuff I'd "lol" my way out of the courtroom.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If a judge tried to order any of that stuff I'd "lol" my way out of the courtroom.
View Quote

If you tried those antics in Netherlands it would probably not go all that well for you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you tried those antics in Netherlands it would probably not go all that well for you.
View Quote

In Netherlands, cool kids RPG courthouse!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top