Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2017 12:21:02 PM EDT
Hi there,

Living in France, some of my fellow citizen do believe that in USA:
- you may freely buy a handgun in an automatic distributor in the streets…
- anyone can own an automatic rifle

Obviously the first point Is a fiction. But I always hoped that the second point was real. Unfortunately it seems that to own a full automatic firearm, a US citizen must:
- Buy a pre-1986 full auto firearm (limited in quantity and very hi•gh on price)
- Or become a firearm manufacturer.

Buldo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You are basically correct.  Full auto stuff is very expensive.  You also file a Form 4 with the ATF and then wait for it to be approved after paying a $200 tax.  Once the paperwork is approved and the tax is paid, the ATF will issue a tax stamp.  You can then take possession of your full auto firearm. 

Or as you said, become a firearms manufacturer. 
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, states have the right of preemption, meaning that although pre-'86 machine guns are federally legal, individual states can ban them.  Thus, legal access also depends on what state a citizen resides in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How free is freely?

I can go into any gun shop (in my state only) and, with a background check, walk out with a handgun in under 10 minutes. Some states have waiting periods.

I can't legally get a gun from a licensed seller "on the streets."
View Quote

From my viewpoint 10 minutes to buy a gun is not that bad.
Nice.
In France, provided you own a hunting or a shooting license, you may buy a hunting rifle in ten minutes too!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also, states have the right of preemption, meaning that although pre-'86 machine guns are federally legal, individual states can ban them.  Thus, legal access also depends on what state a citizen resides in.
View Quote

So sad!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
What happend if the pre 1986 full auto firearm is worn out?
For example, if your barrel or auto sear is worn out, are you allowed to change it?

Buldo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For example, if your barrel or auto sear is worn out, are you allowed to change it?

Buldo.
View Quote

The reciever of the firearm is the registered machine gun normally, and all the parts of the gun are just parts so they can be repaired or replaced as needed.

There are some full auto Sears that are registered as the machine gun. So if that is removed the gun would be no longer a regulated machine gun since the sear is the regulated part. If that wear wears out I'm not sure if they can be legally modified or repaired though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The reciever of the firearm is the registered machine gun normally, and all the parts of the gun are just parts so they can be repaired or replaced as needed.

There are some full auto Sears that are registered as the machine gun. So if that is removed the gun would be no longer a regulated machine gun since the sear is the regulated part. If that wear wears out I'm not sure if they can be legally modified or repaired though.
View Quote

Interesting.
If so, can’t we say that the value of the gun is concentrated in one piece: lever and/or auto sear?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
In more civilized places you can buy a gun from your friend without telling anyone anything.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In some states in the US, people are required to get a license just to own a gun. Some states ban guns because of what they look like, and there are many restrictions in between the commie states and the free states.
View Quote

That is a shame. When I was younger, you could buy AR15, min14 and USM1 in a supermarket. And now, for that very reason "Some states ban guns because of what they look like", you cannot even buy them into your favorite firearm dealer!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And yes, generally anyone that can own a non full auto gun can own a full auto gun. But that person has to get a special permit and can only own full auto guns made before 1986.

To have a post-1986 gun, you have to have a class 3 license. There are a lot of details that BADZ06 and I left out, but that's the gist of it.
View Quote

No special permit is required to own a full auto gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And yes, generally anyone that can own a non full auto gun can own a full auto gun. But that person has to get a special permit and can only own full auto guns made before 1986.

To have a post-1986 gun, you have to have a class 3 license. There are a lot of details that BADZ06 and I left out, but that's the gist of it.
View Quote
No, you just need a MST of cash and a tax stamp.  And a year to wait while ATF decides to get around to processing the Form 4.  In Virginia, you also have to register the MG with the State Police for some odd reason.  Other states vary from "fugeddaboudit" to nothing additional.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, you just need a MST of cash and a tax stamp.  And a year to wait while ATF decides to get around to processing the Form 4.  In Virginia, you also have to register the MG with the State Police for some odd reason.  Other states vary from "fugeddaboudit" to nothing additional.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

You need to be an FFL/SOT or have it issued to you by LE/MIL.

There is no such thing as a class 3 license.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What's the tax stamp then?
View Quote

A Tax Stamp.

Similar to the one one on a bottle of booze or pack of cigarettes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly that.  A tax stamp, not a per,it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#19]
As I can read here, whenever you live in the US nor in France,
anything that deals with federal administration is a complex matter!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As I can read here, whenever you live in the US nor in France,
anything that deals with federal administration is a complex matter!
View Quote

Complex and illogical.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have had an AR Auto Sear for about 10 years.  I have had the trip (Moving Part) replaced once and their have been ads where this service is offered.  It's no big deal and not a very complex design.  I could probably make my own in a few hours with some bar stock, a grinder and a few files.  I even made a .22 AR pistol host with a Ceiner kit for a 4" barreled, full auto handgun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buldo.

If a registered sear (or receiver .e.g. Egg hole/s) is damaged. It can be repaired and put back in service. Most of these repairs are $$$, as the dealer doing the repair is assuming the risk of damaging it. However, if the damage is part of the serial number you are SOL.  Yes, a RLL can be repaired as well!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No special permit is required to own a full auto gun.

It is evidence that the tax has been paid on the transfer of the gun from one owner to another.  It is clearly NOT a permit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No.

You need to be an FFL/SOT or have it issued to you by LE/MIL.

There is no such thing as a class 3 license.
View Quote
Sorry, mis-read the  bit about post-May 86.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hi there,

Living in France, some of my fellow citizen do believe that in USA:
- you may freely buy a handgun in an automatic distributor in the streets…
- anyone can own an automatic rifle

Obviously the first point Is a fiction. But I always hoped that the second point was real. Unfortunately it seems that to own a full automatic firearm, a US citizen must:
- Buy a pre-1986 full auto firearm (limited in quantity and very hi•gh on price)
- Or become a firearm manufacturer.

Buldo.
View Quote
In Florida, we have a three day waiting period for handguns. Counties are allowed to modify it tonfive daysngor handguns and long guns. We have to have a background check. Our carry permits are issued within 90 days after the required safety class, background,  fingerprints, and photo.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#26]
We have to have a background check.
View Quote

Federal requirement since FOPA '86.

The state can be as dumb as you allow the fools in office.

We did statewide preemption in Virginia a while ago.

It was getting really stupid.
A gun show on one side of the street had a handgun waiting period for the County.

One on the other side was cash and carry.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
We have to have a background check.

If you mean Brady, that went into effect in 02/28/94.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is a shame. When I was younger, you could buy AR15, min14 and USM1 in a supermarket. And now, for that very reason "Some states ban guns because of what they look like", you cannot even buy them into your favorite firearm dealer!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In some states in the US, people are required to get a license just to own a gun. Some states ban guns because of what they look like, and there are many restrictions in between the commie states and the free states.

Most of Western Europe and much of America is trending toward the extreme left. With Brexit, the election of Trump, and hopefully soon Frexit, we will see that trend reversed for a long time. It has gotten out of hand. Where we used to use logic, we are frequently seeing an illogical appeal to minority protected classes, to the detriment of the majority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top