Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2017 11:18:27 AM EDT
I made a purchase with a visa debit card. The card can also be ran as a credit card. I gave the number exp date and the three digit code off the back to the vendor over phone.

How long do I have to file the dispute after the purchase date?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What does your card agreement say? What communication has occurred between you and the vendor?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
How long ago was the purchase?

Did you get a tracking number?

Did you pay to have the shipment insured?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
This is kind of a custom deal. He charged my card right away. He Said 2 to 4 weeks. It hasn't been that long yet but I started to read some feedback on the guy after I ordered and he has a reputation for taking like 6 or 8 months. I want to give him a fair chance but i don't want to miss any deadlines. Not going to wait 6 or 8 months.

Also thanks for the help
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You are right to be thinking about the timeline.  Usually there is a certain amount of time after the statement cycle closes.  Call the bank or card issuer and see what your timelines are.

Keep notes of original agreement and date/time of communication with a summary of what was discussed.  Good faith is all that is generally needed on your part for a chargeback.  Don't allow more then the 4 weeks for delivery, start calling him at 2 weeks for a status check.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had good luck getting charge-backs even after the deadline. As long as there are/were circumstances that prevent you from knowing there was a problem before the deadline was up.

IE, my biggest one yet was almost 9 months after the deadline. Circumstances were unique, I paid for a service at a local place. My wife decided she only wanted part of the service so they gave her a refund but she gave them a different credit card to process the refund to so it obviously didn't process through, even though their little receipt printer/card swiper thing printed a receipt saying it processed. I didn't catch it until credit card statement time. I called, they said, "nope, it process through, we have the receipt right here from our machine". I explained that the machine processed it but the card company declined the refund because it was on another card. They kept going back to the "nope, we have the receipt". Mgr was never available, I would call weekly and leave my number. After a month or 2 of going round and round with leaving my number I started dropping in whenever I went by. Same thing, mgr never available. I kept records, I wrote it all down, and finally resorted to disputing it. I explained the situation to them over the phone and then faxed all the records with a written explanation. Bam, charge-back issued.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
A debit card is whatever you agreed to with the bank.
A CC is 60 days after the item appears on a bill from the CC company and Federal law controls the rules.

With a debit card you are at the mercy of the bank and it is YOUR money at raisk.

With a CC the rules are firmly set in Federal Law and the CC companies money is at risk.

Guess the one they work harder on?

Having a CC logo does NOT alter the debit card status.
It is still a debit card and NOT subject to CC rules when used as a debit card.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. Wasn't sure about debit vs credit. Guess I need to talk to my bank.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a similar issue. Company named, Buck Shot Sporting Goods.

I ordered a pistol on March 9th 2017, as well as my CC was billed on the same date. To date, my order has not shipped. Their web site, to this day, says, "Average Shipping Times 5-7 Business Days". I first inquired about my order on March 21st. 8 business days past the original order, and billing dates. I received a reply 48 hours later, stating they were "running just a bit behind on orders!" On March 30th, 15 business days after purchase and billing date, I replied to the email I had received, requesting an update, and I've not received a reply.

Today is April 4th, 2017, 18 business days past original order and billing date, 2 days away from 4 full weeks later. I've not been notified of any shipment thus far. I did provide all info of my FFL info on original order date. I did not receive any requests for FFL info, but I did contact my FFL on March 30th, and request they send their info, which they did, promptly. At time of order, the item I ordered, listed as having "8 in stock". I've also not been notified of any issues, other then the reply to my 1st inquiry, "running just a bit behind on orders!".

At some point after my original contact, I decided to go look up some BBB info. I didn't find anything from BBB, but there is a growing list of bad Google reviews, about this very issue. Inability to speak with anyone on the phone about the issue, which I just tried, and you can't even leave a message. Forcing full and singular option for any communication to their online "contact" page only.

Here is the extended kicker.

We are here to complete your order, not cancel your order. If you have questions on the product or your order, please communicate with us before placing your order!

If you request to have your order cancelled, for any reason, you will be charged a 20% cancellation fee for the total product dollar amount. Shipping charges and state sales tax are not assessed into this charge. The 20% fee is only applied to the product dollar amount. This fee will NOT be waived regardless of the request for cancellation.

If you choose to cancel your order, please communicate with us! If you choose to dispute the charge on your credit card because you do not want to pay the restock fee, an additional $40.00 will be accessed to your order. This charge is to pay for the time and effort that it takes our staff to work with your merchant company and the dispute that you have filed.

Note: Refunds are issued in the same manner in which payment was received. If payment was made by credit card, the average time for the refund to post to your account is 3-6 business days. This is dependent solely on your bank, not on ours. We post refunds typically within 24 hours of the request, but it is your bank that determines as to how fast the credit is received.
View Quote
At this point, I have contacted them 3 times, final email today. I've tried calling, and like the google reviews, it seems to be totally pointless. I have contacted my CCC, and tipped them off to my possible dispute. But I'll be damned to willingly pay them 20% on $450.00.

Advice on what my legal options will/would be outside my CCC?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
That may be against your card policy depending on the provider (charging before shipping)
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That may be against your card policy depending on the provider (charging before shipping)
View Quote
It is for most CC except on custom work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Update. On 04/06/2017 I finally got an email from "Buck Shot Sporting Goods."

Greetings -

We are contacting you today concerning the order that you placed with us.
The product that you ordered has went on a backorder from our distrutor
causing the delay in your shipment.  We do not want for you to continue to
wait and would offer to do a full refund on your order.  We have not been
provided a ETA with a status on when this will be available for shipment at
this time.  We wanted to reach out to you before processing the refund to
get your permission before doing so.  Please let us know how to proceed and
we will process.  We do apologize for any issues that this may have caused
and hope to do better business with you in the future.
View Quote
I immediately replied "Please refund the order."

Later in the day, they replied back saying.
Sir, we will start the refund process on our end!
View Quote
As of 04/11/2017, there hasn't been a refund to my card, yet. Checking every day though.

As a side note. I'm fairly certain that when I placed the order, back on 03/09/2017, their site listed the pistol as having "8" in stock. As well as, I looked at their site a little while after order, and the same pistol listed as having "3" in stock. Wish I had taken screen shots. By far the worst online order experience I've had.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Refunds can take 2-3 business days to post.

Also I'd bet they're drop-shipping from a distributor and the retailer has little or nothing actually in stock.  Distributor FFL's are pretty well known for having crappy inventory systems for their drop-ship retailers.

Frankly if you want a gun RFN you go to a local store and get it.  If you are a price shopper, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Refunds can take 2-3 business days to post.

Also I'd bet they're drop-shipping from a distributor and the retailer has little or nothing actually in stock.  Distributor FFL's are pretty well known for having crappy inventory systems for their drop-ship retailers.

Frankly if you want a gun RFN you go to a local store and get it.  If you are a price shopper, you get what you pay for.
View Quote
Aside from the "over-night" orders, and perhaps pizza delivery, I really doubt most people have a "RFN" mindset when ordering online. When an item isn't marked, "Pre-Order, Back order, or at least, Out of Stock" and one is billed same day as order, and a site claims 5-7 business days average shipment. After 2 weeks go by (let alone a month) without shipment, I imagine most people start wondering wtf is going on. As linked above in my 1st post, my issue wasn't singular, to said outfit. From my online ordering experience, dating back to 2000, or 2001 (mostly computer parts that far back), "crappy inventory systems" or not, this was the worst that I can recall.

Decided to look up the pistol I ordered, and their site clearly shows "9 available". http://shop.buckshotonline.com/product.sig-sauer-2022-standard-9mm-385-151-polymer-grip-blue

Edit: At this point I am wondering what will happen 1st. They'll actually refund (like they offered and yet to do), they'll actually ship the gun, or I'll have to finally involve my CCC.

Edit: 04/17/2017. I started a dispute on 04/14/2017, and today my refund is posted.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Aside from the "over-night" orders, and perhaps pizza delivery, I really doubt most people have a "RFN" mindset when ordering online. When an item isn't marked, "Pre-Order, Back order, or at least, Out of Stock" and one is billed same day as order, and a site claims 5-7 business days average shipment. After 2 weeks go by (let alone a month) without shipment, I imagine most people start wondering wtf is going on. As linked above in my 1st post, my issue wasn't singular, to said outfit. From my online ordering experience, dating back to 2000, or 2001 (mostly computer parts that far back), "crappy inventory systems" or not, this was the worst that I can recall.

Decided to look up the pistol I ordered, and their site clearly shows "9 available". http://shop.buckshotonline.com/product.sig-sauer-2022-standard-9mm-385-151-polymer-grip-blue

http://i.imgur.com/ho9nUie.png

Edit: At this point I am wondering what will happen 1st. They'll actually refund (like they offered and yet to do), they'll actually ship the gun, or I'll have to finally involve my CCC.

Edit: 04/17/2017. I started a dispute on 04/14/2017, and today my refund is posted.
View Quote
The CC companies are pretty good at forcing a reversal through.

The merchant can then argue with them.

The CC company makes money from every completed transaction and will penalize companies with more 'charge backa' than others.

It costs the CC company a lot of money to handle this stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top