Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2016 9:26:58 PM EDT
Every time I've ever made a purchase I've Been delayed anywhere from an hour to a couple days by the NICS system. Yesterday the 22nd of Dec 2016, i was for the first time denied. I was extremely upset as i had been waiting months for this particulate rifle. Its inn and i cant get it because of of some bureaucratic crap. I have a current and valid Texas CHL. The last time I purchased some firearms was late September of this year.
I'm currently getting my (Army) secrete clearance worked on as its been 10 years. I don't know if that could be the reason for the denial, I doubt it since its been getting worked on since May. Nothing has changed since my last purchase other then the secrete clearance, no arrest, no tickets nothing.

I filed an appeal, I "should" get a "After further review we have found you to be eligible" letter next week.

I've been getting tired of being delayed and this denial was the nail on the coffin. I submitted my Volunteer Appeal File packet for my UPIN so that this never happens again. But they're backlogged so it might be a while. Anyone ever have to deal with something like this?

Before I forget I'm currently stationed in GA, i don't have a GA CHL but plan on applying fort one on Monday.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
do you put your SSN on the 4473?

as for  security clearance, that doesn't even come into play in that data base.  NICS is a  National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

you are just going to have to wait on the letter informing you why you were denied.

from this website it claims these are the 12 most common reason for being denied

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/gun-background-checks-nics-failure/
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they didn't run a nics if you had a chl.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

depends on the state. some states make you exempt from a nics check if you have a valid carry permit, others do not. i do not know if texas does
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I always get delayed. The dealers told me to get a chl and then no more nics. I'm in Texas.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

that depends on the state AG and DoJ/ATF/FBI to OK that. it is not automatic just because you have a CCW.

out of 42 states that issue CCW only 25 have a agreement with the DoJ/ATF/FBI to exempt  CCW holders from having a further background check called in. a CCW is good enough to purchase a firearm from a FFL.  

the purchaser ( transferor) still has to fill out the 4473, but instead the FFL holder calling it in, he writes the transferor  license number in the block on the seller (transfereee) portion of the form

ohio just recently, this past may, was the 25th state to have that exemption

http://www.wfmj.com/story/32063438/ohio-ccw-permit-holders-exempt-from-further-background-checks
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a CHL, its from texas though. If i had a GA one i wouldnt need a NICS check. I always put my SSN. I read that begining last OCT if your name and DOB matched a felon you would be automatically denied. Im thinking the reason i was always delayed was because some human verified i was GTG now since its computerized it goes straight to denied. Im sure next week ill get a leter saying i can go a head a get my rifle. As stated though i did a VAF to prevent this from happening again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quite a few on here have stated that having or going through government clearance will cause issues with NICS.  Maybe one of them will see this and speak up as to the reason.  In my state, NC, having a CCW negates the need for a NICS check.  I hope maybe Trump and Congress will get nationwide reciprocity and "maybe" we can push for skipping the NICS for those with CCW's.  Probably not but we can hope.

OP, hope you get your rifle sooner than later.  I know it's a pain especially here at Christmas to be waiting on something you want to be out shooting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quite a few on here have stated that having or going through government clearance will cause issues with NICS.
View Quote

It doesn't.  I had a TS/SCI and my BGC's always came back quickly.

A few months ago ATF rolled out a new "improved" version of eNICS.  The damned thing goes up and down like a yo-yo.  When it's down all of the FFL's jam up the NICS phone lines and if the FBI can't clear you immediately you either get delayed or denied.

OP since you are always delayed I would suggest getting a UPIN in addition to appealing the denial.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Texas CHL/LTC has bypassed NICS since Day 1.

However, as for all CHLs it only bypasses if you are in state.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quite a few on here have stated that having or going through government clearance will cause issues with NICS.  Maybe one of them will see this and speak up as to the reason.
View Quote

Clearance has nothing to do with it. Cleared folks buy guns for decades without incident.

NICS works like a National Agency Check. They run your name through the DB, if their is a hit you get delayed/denied.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
A security clearance has nothing to do with it. I've worked with guys that hold a TS with a poly and can't buy a gun (and should probably be in prison).  On the flip side I know guys that'll never be able to pass a BGI but can walk out of a shop with an arm load of guns in 30 seconds. I've never used the NICS however in TN (POC State) TICS is used and if there's a possible hit, a message pops up to call in. I've never had an issue if someone put their SSN in, even a John Smith type name. OP you need to find out what's going on. Check yourself brother, it's possible your identity has been stolen.  Or you can wait to see what happens with your clearance. I'm sure if there's any dirt on you it'll be brought up when they talk to you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I got my GA CHL, it was nice not having to wait to get a weapon. Now only a year and a half until I get my UPiN. To bad I'm moving to FT Carson next year and will probably have to get a CO CHL IOT prevent this from happening there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top