Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2016 3:40:11 PM EDT
So I took the bar in late July and I'm focusing mainly in personal injury but I'm thinking about taking the training for setting up virginia gun trusts.  What is the opinion of the hive - is the market already pretty well saturated or is there a demand for gun/nfa trusts?

Little background on me, i've been shooting and reloading for 8 years. I have my own nfa trust set up by another attorney with a few cans, an sbs, and an sbr with more to come (hopefully). Went to william & mary for undergrad and graduated from the university of richmond's TC Williams school of law last spring.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally think the market is saturated, and with the new rules, the trust has lost some of its appeal. People can still benefit by having a trust, but I don't think it's worth trying to get into as a business proposition.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
By the looks of things I'll stick with PI and Workers' Comp... might still do a little trust stuff on the side in the future. Time will tell
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you don't do it with the intent to pay for your boat, you'll be fine.

The market died substantially after 41F, and you have to compete with SOTs operating as documemt mills.

Find a few gun stores that you're on good terms with a leave your card with them. It'll get ya a few trusts. Also, please don't engage in the "errbody is gonna go to prison" schtick some lawyers and trusts peddlers do. It's hack and it's bullshit.

That said, I did a fuckload in June and July this year.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I prepared several trusts in recent years, but none since mid-July.  Even earlier, when I explained the trust to prospective clients, about 25% decided they didn't need one.  Several people were under the impression if they owned an NFA item, ATF would seize it upon their death.

Interesting sideline, but they won't pay the rent.  Better to get into estate planning and probate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a look at elder law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top