Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2016 8:59:49 PM EDT
Buddy of mine is buying my EMP and he lives just across the state line in MS.  I would prefer to hand deliver this pistol to his FFL for transfer to him.

This is the exact ATF statement and it sounds pretty definitive "must be shipped."   Hopefully, there are some FFL's who have first hand knowledge of this quandary.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

So, are firearms going to other states required to be shipped?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You can hand deliver your firearm without shipping as long as the receiving FFL will accept it.  He would need your valid ID info in order to log the the firearm into his A&D bound book.  

The receiving FFL is then responsible for the lawful transfer to you friend.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a dealer refuse to accept a hand-delivered pistol I was giving to a relative in another state.  He told me I had to have a dealer ship it to him.  I found one a couple miles away to do the transfer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a dealer refuse to accept a hand-delivered pistol I was giving to a relative in another state.  He told me I had to have a dealer ship it to him.  I found one a couple miles away to do the transfer.
View Quote

He can accept it but is NOT required to accept it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Some FFLs will only accept firearms shipped from other FFLs, because they're dumb. It's like cash payments... You can offer cash, but a business may refuse to accept it, and demand check or credit card payment only. Yes, I've had that happen too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top