Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2016 9:13:00 PM EDT
As the title says, I bought a new car.

When signing the contract I noticed that several hundred dollars of accessories were not listed on the contract that I was under the assumption I was paying for.

I pointed this out and was told they were included in the sale price of the vehicle and not to worry about it. I pushed the issue and the dealer had me pen in the accessories and we both initialed and signed the page.

Now the next day I get a phone call from the guy filing the paperwork saying they made a mistake and I owe them a lot of money because the accessories were not added into the price of the vehicle. (he did not have a contract in front of him, just the info in the computer)

I already told them it sounded like a mistake was made, but it was their mistake and it was plenty clear that the accessories were included in the price on the contract for the vehicle.

They want me to come in and sign a new contract with the cost added on. I told that we had a contract with a vehicle and accessories and a price that we both signed and if that was no longer the agreement I don't think I would be interested in the vehicle anymore.

With the contract the way it is, I am assuming they will end up having to eat the cost. What do I need to look out for? what actions should I take now (started a paper trail with emails already)

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell them to pound sand.
View Quote

This, considering the info given. Dealerships try to pull shit like this all the time. It's the Nigerian lottery scam of the US. Honest people have lost millions to stealerships.

I'd even go as far as consulting my local DA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Force them to honor the contract they signed. If they refuse, sue them.

This is the reason signed contracts exist.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Bait and switch. Screw that. Give em a chance to do what was signed or have a lawyer contact them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell them you are contacting your state AG and seeing if they would like the contract you signed with ''X'' dealer to see if fraud is being attempted. Then follow through. If ''business'' is slow at the AG office, a little taxpayer PR song and dance is sometimes useful to them, especially if the dealer has had complaints before.

You can also contact the automaker itself and lodge a complaint against the dealer IF it's a new vehicle. Have a copy of the contract [you DID keep one, right?] available if they request it. I went this route years ago and some suit from GM did call the dealer, I still think there are lip marks on my ass from said dealer many years later, I have no idea what was said to them but it was obvious something hit the fan at high velocity.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I already have the vehicle. I am going to see what they come back with, if they make it an issue I fully intend on contacting the auto maker.

I dont know if they can tack an extra amount on the financing or put a lean on the vehicle for it. and if they do what is my course of actions. I had a friend go to a shady dealer a while ago and they ran her credit every few months for a year and messed with her credit score.

I might be half paranoid, but people do stupid shit over money sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I already have the vehicle. I am going to see what they come back with, if they make it an issue I fully intend on contacting the auto maker.

I dont know if they can tack an extra amount on the financing or put a lean on the vehicle for it. and if they do what is my course of actions. I had a friend go to a shady dealer a while ago and they ran her credit every few months for a year and messed with her credit score.

I might be half paranoid, but people do stupid shit over money sometimes.
View Quote

Nothing they can do really to force you to resign, the contract is signed and concluded. I really would contact the state AG just to see if I could ruin some dumb fvcks life at that dealership. You should be getting a [possibly E mail, that is how mine were sent] evaluation about your experience from the manufacturer [Toyota sends them out] go scorched earth on them but make sure you are honest. I had what I considered a poor auto buying experience with my FJ purchase and notated that on the survey, It took one day for the dealer to contact me and ask what they could do to make up for it. [salesman was a useless lazy POS, I did find out later he was terminated not long after, I hope I was part of his learning experience]

I'll buy from someone else next time.............

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Once I get the email back I plan on canceling an extended warranty I purchased, then sending out emails/reviews. I don't want to get in them too deep until I get my money back for that.

I am hoping they respond in the morning with "our bad, you got a good deal on this one"
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell them to pound and and remind them that you're going to get a survey about your experience at the dealership.  

If you're in Fairfax County, go ahead and reach out to http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/complaints.htm.  I've worked with a guy named Will Slaughter there on dealership issues and he's great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You have the car? Ha ha they're screwed
View Quote

This.  No reason to go back to the dealership.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a title?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you have a title?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a title?

Financed half of it, havent heard anything since I sent a copy of the contract. Im pretty sure they are going to drop it. Calling the bank on tuesday to make sure everything went through the way the contract reads.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this .........

Tell them to eat a bag of dicks if they make another attempt to extort additional money from you

I would also use a separate dealership for all service / warranty issues ( obvious this one is ran by a bunch of crooks )

ETA

What are the 'accessories' ? And are you also in possession of all of them at this time also ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tell them to eat a bag of dicks if they make another attempt to extort additional money from you

I would also use a separate dealership for all service / warranty issues ( obvious this one is ran by a bunch of crooks )

ETA

What are the 'accessories' ? And are you also in possession of all of them at this time also ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

In Virginia you have nothing without the Title.

Most of the 'sales agreements' do not meet the requirements to be a valid 'contract.'

The stealers play this game all the time.
They KNOW it is not enforceable.  Either way.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Most of the 'sales agreements' do not meet the requirements to be a valid 'contract.'

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

he already is in possession of the car

If I were the OP I would take a Labor Day road trip and put 200-300 miles on her which affects the dealerships price if they were to take it back and resell it

Either way ... tell the dealership to eat a bag of dicks
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Shouldn't the lender have it since the car was financed?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fact do not go back to the dealer
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Credit Unions may try and hold the physical title.
They do not want to pay the fee to record a lien and have the title issued with the lien.

It does leave them open to a new title if you commit fraud (and perjury) and apply to the DMV for a duplicate title.

The car can be snatched if the holder of the title wants.

Be very careful.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They do not want to pay the fee to record a lien and have the title issued with the lien.

It does leave them open to a new title if you commit fraud (and perjury) and apply to the DMV for a duplicate title.

Be very careful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Be very careful.

I wasn't thinking about getting a duplicate, more like paying off the car and getting the title that way - if the OP can afford it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
What tags or on it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Update?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Virginia started giving dealers a terminal and access into the DMV to issue tags and print titles.

The dealers then proceeded to 'mark up' and use the same fees they had been claiming to pay 'services' to get title and tags issued.

The state came down on them rather hard.

The whole idea was to reduce the often outrageous fees the dealers had been adding for 'title and tags.''

They are not referred to as 'stealers' for no reason.

What they love to do is offer 'financing' and mark the interest rate up over the bank 'offer' rate.
The banks pay them very well when 'buying' those notes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
What the issue was, the salesman/finance guy pulled the price of the accessories and added in the extended warranty.

so, I thought I was paying 200something dollars for an extended warranty and ended up paying 1700something for an extended warranty...

I penciled in everything on the contract and we both signed it. so I basically got the accessories free...

Well I'm a bit of an asshole so I ended up going in and canceling the extended warranty and getting 100% back, half as a fuck you and half as a WTF after reading the fine print on the "bumper to bumper" warranty
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#26]
extended warranty
View Quote

They are almost invariably a third party 'service contract' and rarely worth the money.

Remember they have all the money and nothing to do until the actual manufacturer warranty runs out.

It was profitable gain when interest rates are higher.

They can set aside a chunk of the money and earn interest on it and wait.

Some companies actually did purchase 're-insurance' to cover things.

They really got their start in the 1970s and 1980s when car quality was really in the toilet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Rather have root canal before buying a new car.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rather have root canal before buying a new car.
View Quote

Hence why I bought my Truck at Walmart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top