Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 12:53:10 PM EDT
Wondering if anyone knows when the government decided it would be the lower portion of the receiver that would be registered and not the upper, and what the rationale was?

If I recall, it's the upper receiver on the FAL and HK that is registered.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers.  I've always wondered why the lower is the serialized part on the AR, but the upper is the serialized part on the 10/22.

ETA See https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-ammunition-firearms-verification-overview.  The serial number is supposed to be on the "frame or receiver".  27 CFR 478.11 - Meaning of terms, defines the frame or receiver as "That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel."  The serialized part on both the AR and the 10/22 "provide housing" for the hammer and the firing mechanism.  Based on what I've read since I initially replied, the definition is broad enough to give manufacturers and importers some flexibility as to where they put the serial number, which explains the inconsistencies.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
None of this mattered until 1968, so the location for the AR-15 was determined by the manufacturer, not the ATF, and then grandfathered in. Probably the military had a lot of say in it for guns built for or marketed to them.

Since then, it's been the portion of the firearm that held the barrel or trunion, and often where the ammunition feed (magazine or belt feed) was located.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top