Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 2:39:10 AM EDT
Some friends of mine started a small fishing business. They go out like 30-40 miles and fish all day. I want to go with them and was curious of the legality of what I brought.

So far from some quick searching, I think the laws at sea say a vessel must respect the laws of the country of origin. We are leaving SC, USA and I can legally carry and own guns here, so I should be good to go.

Anyone have any FIRST HAND experience with this....I strongly believe in carrying some form of defense when venturing into the outdoors...woods, desert, or sea
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You are good to go.  I highly recommend bringing a gun.  I do when I go fishing offshore.

My experience is as a USCG Boarding Officer since 07
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
awesome...I assume it's polite to notify if boarded...and am I limited to concealed carry or does anything go in the open seas
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything goes.

If you get boarded, you will most likely get asked if you have any weapons on board. It's policy to ask, and is a part of our standard greeting.  Sometimes boarding officers feel that it's none of thier business and forget to ask

The more guns out on boats, the better IMO.  It allows the public to defend themselves, and gets our people used to being around armed law abiding citizens.  Win win in my book.

The only downside is if you get boarded by a guy like me.  You'll end up doing more gun talk than fishing
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Problem arises when you end up in states/countries/cities that aren't gun friendly for whatever reason.  (i.e. NYC)
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
we are leaving a SC port, going straight out, and coming back...so no issues there
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
we are leaving a SC port, going straight out, and coming back...so no issues there
View Quote

I can just imagine a scenario where you guys capsize, and are stranded on top of the hull with no food or water for weeks, then wash ashore in New York Harbor and then get proceed to get arrested on gun charges after they find a waterlogged child killing weapon of war in  a storage locker below.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

How far to a border state?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
30 to 40 miles offshore is not international waters, it is outside of state waters.  

FPNI...one of the first questions you're going to be asked if you get boarded by the USCG is if there are weapons on board.   It goes with the territory.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
30 to 40 miles offshore is not international waters, it is outside of state waters.  

FPNI...one of the first questions you're going to be asked if you get boarded by the USCG is if there are weapons on board.   It goes with the territory.
View Quote

12 nautical miles for territorial waters.

'Exclusive Economic zone' to 200 nm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
ok so not international...but all is still good right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ok so not international...but all is still good right?
View Quote

The problem is that you likely cannot anchor out there forever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top