Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2016 2:48:05 PM EDT
she is 52 and has several significant medical problems that are not reversible.
She has worked w-2 wise since coming off the farm at 18 years old.

Works sixty plus hours a week now but it is destroying her. She's been told she will now work six days a week.on call everyday

Can't go to MD appointments,goes to work sick constantly. Febrile

diarrhea, weak.  

She applied a few years ago at her doc's insistence.  She told me she was denied due to my income.

When the doc found out she was denied he said he could do surgery for one of her problems but might not help her

30 percent chance of improvement. Didn't help.  Guy is great surgeon.  Not his fault.

I make good  money so I suspect applying will be a waste of time.

She's paid in for decades, shouldn't matter what I make.  

Any advice appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That's fucking stupid.  Disability shouldn't depend on what you make, especially since you've been paying taxes on it.  

Sorry to hear that OP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a lawyer.
View Quote

But I think these are designed to be emergency services and since you make plenty by there standards there is no need.
I have known people to divorce and the spouse rent a room so as to solve this problem.

I have three part time employees that work there own schedule due to health issues. They don'tmake what they did but there quality of life is better.

Start looking for a better employer.

Also money isn't everything. Quality of life and family is.

Good luck.
What part of TX?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
She is going to,compromise first.  And I thinking reasonable
But, she doesn't realize this fully, she is going to get worse the o,dear she gets.

She is looking for 40 hour a week job that may be easier

She is in management/sales so will be big pay cut

I'm thinking FPNI

Get lawyer

Will be not much money a month but she can at least go to MD appointments and try and stay healthy
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Get a lawyer.
View Quote
Looking that way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to sue..
cost me $30K out of the initial pay out of 3 years back payment..

had California, Wisconson and then Texas surgeons say the issue was unfixable. I was well over 50 and not likely
be able to retrain in to a career that would pay me as much as social security was going to pay or any where near the
amount of salary I was earning at the time the last surgery was a NO GO..trust me, I'd rather be working and certainly rather
have the $100K+ I was earning..than where I am now..but you can't do, what you cant do.
hell, Ive even volunteered to work for fed guy 20 hours a week to "earn my keep" they laughed at me...
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Get an SSDI attorney.
They will grab $6,000 of the disability after it is approved.
If they take a long time for approval there may be enough 'back payments' to the qualification date to easily pay the attorney.
It depends on earning history that was subject to FICA withholding.

Employer sponsored disability is (for all intents) so hard to obtain you have to be practically nearly on life support.

At least SSDI will pay you based on what what income you paid over the years when you cannot hold ANY job.

Ask a disabled person in Texas who they used.

Without an attorney it is nearly assured SSDI will turn you down the first time.
You then do 'reconsideration' and after that may still have to go through administrative courts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I had to sue..

cost me $30K out of the initial pay out of 3 years back payment..

had California, Wisconson and then Texas surgeons say the issue was unfixable. I was well over 50 and not likely

be able to retrain in to a career that would pay me as much as social security was going to pay or any where near the

amount of salary I was earning at the time the last surgery was a NO GO..trust me, I'd rather be working and certainly rather

have the $100K+ I was earning..than where I am now..but you can't do, what you cant do.

hell, Ive even volunteered to work for fed guy 20 hours a week to "earn my keep" they laughed at me...
View Quote
You work that long, you already earned it

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Get an SSDI attorney.

If they take a long time for approval there may be enough 'back payments' to the qualification date to easily pay the attorney.

Employer sponsored disability is (for all intents) so hard to obtain you have to be practically nearly on life support.

At least SSDI will pay you based on what what income you paid over the years when you cannot hold ANY job.

Without an attorney it is nearly assured SSDI will turn you down the first time.

You then do 'reconsideration' and after that may still have to go through administrative courts.

View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Does your wife have short or long-term disability insurance through her job?  I do and it did pay out when I was hospitalized a few years ago.

If she does have coverage and they're raising a fuss has she tried going to her HR department?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Does your wife have short or long-term disability insurance through her job?  I do and it did pay out when I was hospitalized a few years ago.

If she does have coverage and they're raising a fuss has she tried going to her HR department?

View Quote
Don't think she did

I'll ask about her current job

I'm sitting out front of her job.

She is almost done for the day.

She went in at 0730.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

she is 52 and has several significant medical problems that are not reversible. She has worked w-2 wise since coming off the farm at 18 years old.

Works sixty plus hours a week now but it is destroying her. She's been told she will now work six days a week.on call everyday

diarrhea, weak.  
She applied a few years ago at her doc's insistence.  She told me she was denied due to my income.

When the doc found out she was denied he said he could do surgery for one of her problems but might not help her

30 percent chance of improvement. Didn't help.  Guy is great surgeon.  Not his fault.
Any advice appreciated.

View Quote
We really need some more details here. Would any of these problems resolve or improve if she were to cut back to 20-30 hours a week or change jobs? I'm not suggesting that this is a cure-all, but more info would be nice (at least to the extent that you feel comfortable sharing).

If your wife suffers from severe back pain and your avatar is any indication, there may be a solution for that problem.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get an SSDI attorney.

Thank you

I have had MS for 28 years now and am 56 years old.
Still walking at least.

Good luck.
It is a goat rope.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

We really need some more details here. Would any of these problems resolve or improve if she were to cut back to 20-30 hours a week or change jobs? I'm not suggesting that this is a cure-all, but more info would be nice (at least to the extent that you feel comfortable sharing).  

If your wife suffers from severe back pain and your avatar is any indication, there may be a solution for that problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

she is 52 and has several significant medical problems that are not reversible. She has worked w-2 wise since coming off the farm at 18 years old.

diarrhea, weak.  

Any advice appreciated.

I think that she is going to try to find a less demanding job
Working 40"hours might be the solution.  

But, eventually, she will have to face it

However, if things get worse she will have to reassess

She has big boobs since she was a girl

But not that big.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think that she is going to try to find a less demanding job Working 40"hours might be the solution.  

But not that big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

diarrhea, weak.  

Any advice appreciated.

I think that she is going to try to find a less demanding job Working 40"hours might be the solution.  

But not that big.

It is an 'accommodation' under ADA.

If the doctors will sign off on the application hire a disability attorney and get started.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top