Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2016 4:58:23 PM EDT
My dad has an old .44 Smith and Wesson pistol he no longer shoots. He lives in California. He wants to give me the pistol and I live in Colorado.

I've spoken to a couple of gun shops in CA and they tell me he can only transfer the pistol to another CA resident. Is this true?

If anyone has any ideas about how to tranfer the gun I'd be all ears!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My dad has an old .44 Smith and Wesson pistol he no longer shoots. He lives in California. He wants to give me the pistol and I live in Colorado.

I've spoken to a couple of gun shops in CA and they tell me he can only transfer the pistol to another CA resident. Is this true?

If anyone has any ideas about how to tranfer the gun I'd be all ears!

Thanks!
View Quote

If you were to do the transfer in CA, that is correct, it can only be transferred to another CA resident. If he comes to visit (or if you visit him), he can just give it to you. If he ships it, I believe it has to go to an FFL for transfer but am notquite sure on that... Scratch that. All interstate handgun transfers have to go through an FFL, in the receiver's home state, apparently.

Immediate family member transfers are exempt from CO background checks, according to this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Have him ship it to an FFL in CO. You then do a 4473 to allow the dealer to transfer it to you. The fee should be nominal $10-50 depending on the dealer. Not sure if he has to use a CA FFL to ship it though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Why can't your Dad just give it to you?   If it leaves the state of CA, then why would CA DOJ care?   Is there a registry in CO or something?

I'm not trying to be a smartass.  

As far as I know, if I wanted to give a family member a firearm I could, as long as they are not prohibited persons, right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate all the responses. And totally agree, this should be a simple transfer. I'll update when I get more info.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why can't your Dad just give it to you?   If it leaves the state of CA, then why would CA DOJ care?   Is there a registry in CO or something?

As far as I know, if I wanted to give a family member a firearm I could, as long as they are not prohibited persons, right?
View Quote

Not right. Since 1968 it has been illegal to transfer a firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun) to a resident of another state.

See above process of transferring it through a licensed dealer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not if they are residents of different states.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't matter who you're giving it to, if a handgun crosses a state line it must go through an FFL in the destination state.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not right. Since 1968 it has been illegal to transfer a firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun) to a resident of another state.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if gifting a firearm to an immediate family member. His father can ship that pistol straight to the OP's front door.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not if gifting a firearm to an immediate family member. His father can ship that pistol straight to the OP's front door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is NO exception for "immediate family member."

No gun transfers across state lines.

The single exception is the executor of an estate to an heir.
The executor can hand the gun to the heir.

It does not sound like dad is dead yet so that is not possible yet.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct... I had bad info.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My question is, since there is no gun registry (yet), who is going to know if you drive into town, take possession of said firearm, and go back home with it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My question is, since there is no gun registry (yet), who is going to know if you drive into town, take possession of said firearm, and go back home with it?
View Quote

A felony means you cannot own any firearms.

Sure you want to try?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been here since 2001?

ANY interstate transfer of a firearm MUST go through an FFL.

Long guns can be transferred to an out of state resident through an FFL at the transferors location.

Handguns must be transferred to an out of state resident through an FFL at the tranferees location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top