Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 12:05:16 PM EDT
So I have an upcoming road trip.  I understand the federal firearm transport req.'s.

What I'm wondering about is carrying while traveling.  I have a FL CWP and reciprocity with the states I will be visiting or traveling through.  

My 2 passengers do not have CWP.  We will be trading-off driving responsibilities.

I would like to have my pistol in the Console while driving, but move to my briefcase or wear when a I'm a passenger.

Would my passengers be at risk of charges if they don't have a CWP and the state doesn't allow console carry w/o a permit since they are in the vehicle and the pistol could be accessible to them.

I know I could just lock it up, but then I'm effectively disarmed.

I also realize this type of thing will be dependent upon the state/local laws in the areas I will be traveling, but what should I be looking for when researching local laws & how my passengers would be seen in the eyes of the law if I'm carrying or have a gun concealed in the car?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't say what states you're going through but you'd be ok in Tennessee. Have you thought about having it on you in a holster?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
IANAL.

My suggestion would be to have it on your person at all times.  This way, you're certain you're following the law.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IANAL.

My suggestion would be to have it on your person at all times.  This way, you're certain you're following the law.
View Quote

I would do this as well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback.  I see where TN is GTG.  I'm traversing GA, SC, NC, TN, and staying in KY.

I agree keeping it on me is the best solution, but I'm not sure how I'll enjoy that over 14 hours in a car seat.

ETA: typo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback.  I see where TN is GTG.  I'm traversing GA, SC, NC, TN, and staying in KY.

I agree keeping it on me is the best solution, but I'm not sure how I'll enjoy that over 14 hours in a car seat.

View Quote

I driven over 8 hours with a holstered gun (OWB) with no comfort issues.  Look at it this way - it's a test of your gear.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wear mine 16-20 hrs a day. This is where you find what works best for you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I generally consider shoulder rigs instruments of torture but this may be a place for one
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, guys.  I'm testing in my office chair for the next couple of days.  This weekend I'll see how comfortable I am in the car.  So far, not bad, but my chair is wide and doesn't have a seatbelt.

Since I work out of my home office, I don't usually carry for long periods, especially strapped into a drive's seat.  I can just have the pistol on my desk....
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Interdasting.....that led me to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MTIQRG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=S5S128A7I6TE&coliid=IL1X610T864GC&psc=1

I'd be all tacticool, as well....It's 5.11.

ETA: fixed up link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top