Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 5:02:07 AM EDT
Hi guys.  Please help.   I'm in a rush to get a couple of NFA items before the July changes. For the transfer of the weapons on the form 4 I have a REVOCABLE TRUST that is 50 pages long drafted BY AN ATTORNEY. It is not specific for guns BUT SUPPOSEDELY WELL WRITTEN .Since it was drafted ,MY family situation is changed it includes my ex sister-in-law's name which I do not want on it. The vendor of the weapons is selling a  supposedly expertly written gun trust that is extremely simplified and only five pages. There I can include only my immediate family which I would want the guns only to go to. What do you think of this :is this legal. I plan on keeping the name of the trust exactly as my old trust was written. And it is a REVOCABLE trust that they said c an be changed .  I don't want to jeopardize any of my weapons.    Sincerely Rich
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Curious as to the process of adding and/or removing beneficiaries myself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I spoke with a trust att. In Fl who said just amend the page, Mark it as amended and have it notarized. Keep both pages.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spoke with a trust att. In Fl who said just amend the page, Mark it as amended and have it notarized. Keep both pages.
View Quote

Good to know, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#4]
To whom the assets are left to In the Trust has nothing to do with the legality of said Trust in Reguards to aquasition of NFA  items at this time. Assets held within the Trust have nothing to do with legality of said Trust within NFA. ATF does not get a list of ascets. They know what you have NFA wise.

Amend it, don't amend it. ATF has no clue. They only know that at the time the paper work was submitted it was a legally recognized Trust within whatever state you reside. You could make 100 changes over the course of your lifetime after the acquisition of NFA item. ATF would never know about it unless you filed to make or register another NFA item and sent them an amended version.

Should you amend it ? Yes, probably. It only matters for others access to items now and your wishes when dead.
And makes the transfer after your death a little easier. Maybe... You won't care.

Changes in July bascily kill the need for a NFA Trust. Might as well just get what you want as individual. Your heirs can still get those items transferred. They would be personal ascets lumped in with everything else and go through probate and then ATF.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi guys.  Please help.   I'm in a rush to get a couple of NFA items before the July changes. For the transfer of the weapons on the form 4 I have a REVOCABLE TRUST that is 50 pages long drafted BY AN ATTORNEY. It is not specific for guns BUT SUPPOSEDELY WELL WRITTEN .Since it was drafted ,MY family situation is changed it includes my ex sister-in-law's name which I do not want on it. The vendor of the weapons is selling a  supposedly expertly written gun trust that is extremely simplified and only five pages. There I can include only my immediate family which I would want the guns only to go to. What do you think of this :is this legal. I plan on keeping the name of the trust exactly as my old trust was written. And it is a REVOCABLE trust that they said c an be changed .  I don't want to jeopardize any of my weapons.    Sincerely Rich
View Quote

It probably is a good trust, but not for this purpose. A Ferrari F12 is a great car, but it's not meant to haul a trailer. I've ran across a few of these. You just amend it in its entirety.

1. What will he do if the 5 page trust shits the bed in court? He likely doesnt have malpractice insurance since he's not a lawyer.

2. 5 pages is really, really short. I'd shy away from that one if I were you.

3. Generally, there shouldn't be a limit on who you can include in the trust. The immediate family part alone sounds fishy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you call the attorney who drafted it? Since he's the only one out of everyone who replied (likely) that is licensed to practice law in YOUR state, you should ask him about the amendment process.

You try to do what the one poster advised you of here in PA with regard to removing a trustee and that wouldn't fly.

But I'm only licensed to practice law in PA.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did you call the attorney who drafted it? Since he's the only one out of everyone who replied (likely) that is licensed to practice law in YOUR state, you should ask him about the amendment process.

You try to do what the one poster advised you of here in PA with regard to removing a trustee and that wouldn't fly.

View Quote

If he called me asking about a trust I drafted for someone else, my response would be "k........sounds like you need to hire an attorney"
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If he called me asking about a trust I drafted for someone else, my response would be "k........sounds like you need to hire an attorney"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure I follow you. I was simply stating that if he paid an attorney to draft the trust, he should call that attorney to find out how to have it amended.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure I follow you. I was simply stating that if he paid an attorney to draft the trust, he should call that attorney to find out how to have it amended.
View Quote

I read it as OP's buddy gave the OP a copy of the buddy's trust.

I do like how his FFL is engaging in the Unauthorized Practice of Law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top