Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 10:26:52 PM EDT
Doing a refinance. Title company contacted by the lender said theres three liens on my property. To someone with a similar name as me. Is there any consequence to putting a false lien on someones home? How do i proceed?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I would proceed by listening to my wallet cry as interest rates rise,
while trying to get this mess straightened out.
Whoever made the mistake will likely not suffer any consequences.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Talk to the title company.  There is an affidavit you can sign. Happens all the time with common names.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
'Slander of title' is the term you are looking for.
Visit the courthouse and find out who filled the liens.

Unless you also purchased the 'owners' title insurance policy the policy for the mortgage may not do anything.

Pay an attorney to send them a letter on his letterhead.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
No attorney needed. Are they judgements? Any judgement filed automatically is attached to any property whose owner has the same name. I'm in the mortgage business.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No attorney needed. Are they judgements? Any judgement filed automatically is attached to any property whose owner has the same name. I'm in the mortgage business.
View Quote

There are times and places to use an attorney.

You can save some money if YOU do the basic footwork and obtain copies of the liens.

I purchased a couple REO properties over the years.

I used an attorney to deal with the idiots at the lenders.

It worked out much smoother.
I think my attorney enjoyed squeezing them since he never charged all that much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top