Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 7:17:43 PM EDT
Spouse got a contract from employer and after reading it over a few times its throwing up some fuck this flags.  From what ive found online, signing this prevents her from starting litigation through the courts and waives all appeal rights.  

Can her employer force her to sign the form as a condition of employment (this hasnt been said yet)?  I suspect if she doesnt agree she still has the option for arbitration as well as court.  Also waives rights for "remedies otherwise available in a court of law"

Pretty sure when a company throws binding contract like this its for their protection not the employee's protection like it was sold to them.  

What say the hive?  I can post images of the doc if need be and allowed. Or do I have my tinfoil on too tight?

Eta just found out its job conditional.  She is gonna find another job.  Wount be too hard, shes a nurse.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
It might not be as awful as you seem to think it is, and you might find that it is a common requirement in her field.

Based on what you've posted, I'd assume that she would be allowed some kind of alternative dispute resolution.

Either way, I'd suggest having an employment law attorney review it before changing jobs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank ya, that's what we are going to go first.  We have a fam friend that's a Judge that wants to look it over to make sure there aren't any gross violations of her rights as an employee.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife was given one of those in order to get her severance package. We signed it even though the company clearly did illegal and grimy stuff.
Company's stock went from $24 to $0.38  My wife is an awesome worker and her boss made a couple bad decisions that cost the company millions.
He blamed the decisions on my wife instead of owning it.  Glad she's gone from that place.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Buddy of mine worked (as an engineer) for a well known firearms manufacturer. Upon his resignation to go work for another well known firearms company, the boss called him in the office and told him that in order to get his last 2 weeks of pay he needed to sign this document. He said he would look it over and consider it. He looked it over and the synopsis was, "every bit of firearms knowledge you have is because of us, any design you create in the future is because of that knowledge. Our company owns all rights to those designs no matter who you work for." He talked it over with a lawyer he knew, the lawyer said, "DON'T sign that".

The boss was pretty upset and threatened to withhold pay... he still got paid (I think the boss realized that withholding pay would only open him up to a lawsuit).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top