Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2016 11:18:54 PM EDT
I read this post from 2004. http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=176569

In the post someone mentioned that: "Others who can sign a Form 1/Form 4"

State Police Captain or equivalent top district officer.
District Attorney or judge of a court of general jurisdiction (jurisdiction over your address, and ability to charge you with a crime).
Federal Agency Special Agent In Charge or equivalent of a field office with jurisdiction over your address.
US Attorney with jurisdiction over your address.

I live in a township and don't have a police force so I would need to go to the county to get it signed. I live south of Chicago and in a gun friendly county (Will). Going to the the Sheriffs office would be a pain since I don't live that close. I do however have a a state police district right down the road. What I am asking is if that list above is valid? Can I get my form signed by a State Police Captain as research has not turned up anything on this other than that post? Most sites I read just say CLEO as referring to sheriff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
From the current CFR:

A certificate of the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor, or such other person whose certificate may in a particular case be acceptable to the Director, shall be completed on each copy of the Form 1 (Firearms).
View Quote

I'm not sure a state police captain would satisfy the requirements.

You could just wait 6 months for the new rule to go into effect.  While you'd have to submit fingerprints and a photograph, it becomes a CLEO notification, not permission.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
It needs to be the head of the department, not just a detachment.  I do not think what you are proposing would qualify.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If the state police captain has been delegated to sign he can do so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you do a NFA trust in your state? Do it that route until July when the new rules are in effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top