Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2015 7:27:51 AM EDT
Divorced w/ spousal support that would be payable through my estate should I die. I am looking to purchase a new home w/ my girlfriend but need to be able protect her from this clause. Would a life insurance policy in her name be subject to the estate clause ? I'm looking for the best approach, any input appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:39:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait, you still have to support the ex even AFTER you die?

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to WA state, where they will push everything on the spouse so they will not have to support her through public assistance
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I would think if things were in a trust they would pass without going through your estate.

IANAL.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Talk to an attorney in your state.  You'll likely want to create a trust.  But to answer your question directly, yes, you should be able to purchase a life insurance policy to cover your obligations to your ex/provide protection for your girlfriend/new wife.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Attorney in your state.

A lot of odd details that vary state by state.

Make sure you get one with the correct experience.

At least in Virginia it depends on who 'owns' the life insurance policy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Typically a life insurance policy is not an estate asset, as long as the beneficiary is alive when you croak. If the beneficiary predeceases you, or you remove and don't replace with another person, it will become an estate asset. I'd run it by an attorney up there, but sounds like a  viable option for what you have in mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top