Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
so Im stationed at fort Benning, i went to buy an ar15 online and got told that they wont accept my orders as proof of residency. my account on their website and my billing address were still my old Massachusetts address when i placed my first order. i canceled it and changed my billing address through my bank and updated it on their website. placed a second order and got a call from the guy i spoke to before and he said he wont let the second order go through because i had said i have a Mass drivers license while discussing the first order. they told me they only accept a drivers license as proof of residency regardless of the ATF exception for military. if there anything i can do?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
18 U.S.C.
922(t)(1)(C): IDENTIFICATION OF TRANSFEREE
27 CFR
178.124: FIREARMS TRANSACTION RECORD
Licensees may accept a combination of valid government issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the Brady Act. The required valid government issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of the transferee may be supplemented by another valid, government issued document showing the transferee's residence address. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, and may satisfy the identification document requirement by presenting his or her military identification card along with official orders showing that his or her permanent duty station is with in the State where the licensed premises are located

Don't understand the FFL's refusal.  The quote above is on the Fm 4473.  Point this out to your FFL.  If he chooses not to work within legal guidelines, find another FFL.

Edit for more info.  On our 4473's we have the transferee put their unit of assignment and their local address in the address block.  Both have to be in our state.  Also, down on the bottom, block 13 I think, your state of residence is the same as your PCS station and local address.  It's where you physically live.  Has nothing to do will military/tax stuff.  Lot's of our military customer get that wrong at first.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not my local FFL that won't transfer the rifle, it's the online dealer that refuses to sell to me and to ship it to my local FFL
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
18 U.S.C.
922(t)(1)(C): IDENTIFICATION OF TRANSFEREE
27 CFR
178.124: FIREARMS TRANSACTION RECORD
Licensees may accept a combination of valid government issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the Brady Act. The required valid government issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of the transferee may be supplemented by another valid, government issued document showing the transferee's residence address. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, and may satisfy the identification document requirement by presenting his or her military identification card along with official orders showing that his or her permanent duty station is with in the State where the licensed premises are located

Don't understand the FFL's refusal.  The quote above is on the Fm 4473.  Point this out to your FFL.  If he chooses not to work within legal guidelines, find another FFL.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]
That's odd, I've never had to show any ID or anything to an online retailer.  They all just wanted my FFLs info.  Sounds like an online retailer I wouldn't want to buy from.  He might have done you a favor.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I misunderstood.  RaptorFuel is spot on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
<-- FFL
Buy it from a different vendor, that one doesn't deserve your business.  Alternatively if you absolutely must have that particular rifle then have your dealer special-order it for you.  Yeah you'll have to pay markup + tax but you'll get the rifle.

Online vendors often get stiffed when billing and shipping addresses don't match, and eventually the credit card comes up stolen so the seller eats the loss, but that's more common with high-end optics and accessories.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top