Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 9:30:05 AM EDT
So In two weeks I'll be applying for my cwp permit, and I still have some questions regarding legally carrying in certain places. I'm not sure if carrying in a hospital is legal, carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol (say if I went to chili's and sat in the corner furthest from the bar) or carrying in any place that's says "no firearms"like a gas station, grocery store, gas station, and ect.

In sure someone can help me out with these questions. And posting state statutes helps! I've read them over and over but my interpretation is its a no.

Thanks in advance and much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Here you go:

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
View Quote

Nothing about hospitals, restaurants that serve alcohol, or posted signs.  Looks like you're good to go in all 3.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here you go:
Nothing about hospitals, restaurants that serve alcohol, or posted signs.  Looks like you're good to go in all 3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here you go:

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:

4. Any courthouse;

5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;

6. Any polling place;

7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;

11. Any career center;

12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;

13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or

#12?

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
#12?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go:

4. Any courthouse;
6. Any polling place;
11. Any career center;

#12?  

To me, it reads like #12 is for bars, including restaurant bars.  So yeah, Chilis may serve alcohol throughout the whole restaurant, but the main part of the restaurant isn't "primarily devoted to" serving it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
To me, it reads like #12 is for bars, including restaurant bars.  So yeah, Chilis may serve alcohol throughout the whole restaurant, but the main part of the restaurant isn't "primarily devoted to" serving it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here you go:

4. Any courthouse;

6. Any polling place;

11. Any career center;

#12?  

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages, is how it reads.

In Florida it is common knowledge to avoid the bar area of a restaurant.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages, is how it reads.

In Florida it is common knowledge to avoid the bar area of a restaurant.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.  It still sounds like the OP could accomplish what he wants.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes.. The Bar area. stay out..Sitting at a table Eating in a place that serves booze or has a Bar is GTG. ex: A booth across from the Bar should be GTG but a hi top table right next to to bar seats may be a gray area. I think there is a lot of t depends on how the Bar and tables are set up. If those tables are not partitioned from the actual Bar and there is an open floor plan...then it is open to interpretation. There is no piticular distance within the rules. Just the line about "in that portion" which is generally construed as THE BAR. The whole thing is stupid. If someone carrying is going to be a drunk just having a sentence in the rules is not going to stop them.
Generally.. The Bar issue is given as don't be near THE BAR. Do your best to be several tables away.
I have found myself sitting at the Bar while carrying a couple of times... Not realy by choice...Group out to lunch. Riding with others. Car given To valet. No seats available except at bar. The group says ok. Trapped. No one knows I am carrying but me... I leave it that way. Have lunch don't worry about it. Anything starts with anyone in the Bar while I am there I am leaving.
so... Don't hang out in the Bar area while carrying.
Go to Florida Carry website forum. One of the best carry sites there is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top