Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2015 2:40:11 PM EDT
Ohio here.  I want to start a movement to make it legal for people to smoke indoors as long as it is a private club.

I strongly believe that if you are paying to be a member of an organization or club, then they should have the right to allow smoking in their location if they want to. Where do I begin? Petitions? Contact local rep?

The location referenced is a VFW Canteen.

Thanks

Douglas
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask in your Hometown forum. They would have a better knowledge on how to fix or alter the law.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ask in your Hometown forum. They would have a better knowledge on how to fix or alter the law.

View Quote

State law?  The process begins in your state legislature.

You could start by starting a grass roots organization.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ohio here.  I want to start a movement to make it legal for people to smoke indoors as long as it is a private club.

I strongly believe that if you are paying to be a member of an organization or club, then they should have the right to allow smoking in their location if they want to. Where do I begin? Petitions? Contact local rep?

The location referenced is a VFW Canteen.
Thanks

Douglas
View Quote

Find out how your local rep voted on the smoking ban.  What group(s) opposed the smoking ban?  Are they still active?  Can they give you a read on the current political situation and your idea is likely to pass?

I have a particular pro-gun idea I'd like to further in OH, so every year or two I'll shoot an email off to my friends at Buckeye Firearms and ask what their take is for the upcoming year.  They've been doing this longer than I have, so they know the lowdown.

Petitions are only useful if you want to get something on the ballot to be voted on statewide (and you need thousands and thousands and thousands of Ohioans' signatures), so start with your local rep.  If (s)he doesn't support it, find out who does and reach out to him or her.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]

3794.03 Areas where smoking is not regulated by this chapter..

The following shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter:

(G) Private clubs as defined in section 4301.01(B)(13) of the Revised Code, provided all of the following apply: the club has no employees; the club is organized as a not for profit entity; only members of the club are present in the club's building; no persons under the age of eighteen are present in the club's building; the club is located in a freestanding structure occupied solely by the club; smoke from the club does not migrate into an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited under the provisions of this chapter; and, if the club serves alcohol, it holds a valid D4 liquor permit.

4301.01(B)(13) "Club" means a corporation or association of individuals organized in good faith for social, recreational, benevolent, charitable, fraternal, political, patriotic, or athletic purposes, which is the owner, lessor, or occupant of a permanent building or part of a permanent building operated solely for those purposes, membership in which entails the prepayment of regular dues, and includes the place so operated.

View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top