Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2015 7:53:48 PM EDT
I've searched around but couldn't find anything similar to this situation. I'll try to keep it simple.

The last ten years or so my step dad let me use his fishing boat(titled in his name) since he bought a newer one. I've stored it on my property(apartment garage and now side of my house) and used it whenever. I would pay for the renewal stickers every third year. I considered that fair for letting me used the boat. There was talk about me buying the boat. But never a real discussion or even mention a price  for the boat.

Fast forward my step dad and my mother got divorced. Last time I saw him was Feb. 2014. Divorce was final in Oct. 2014 and he remarried. I tried contacting him twice regarding the boat, basically saying since my wife and I don't have the funds to buy the boat if he can pick it up or arrange to transfer it to my name. Both with no reply.

So my question is,

Since he is not replying to my attempted contacts, is the boat cosidered abandon and is it possible to have the boat transfered to my name if it is abandoned?

I know little about abandoned property rules but the titled or registered stuff not so much. Most of what I researched talked mostly about tenants, ect. Which I'm not sure if that applies here.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
is it registered in your name? or his?

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's still registered in his name.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd just keep using it until he comes and gets it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
mechanics lien?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. Is there a reason you need to take ownership OP?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, its one of those things where I would rather have in my name vs using it in someone else's name who seems to want no contact. But I don't want to just get rid of it, such as Leave it on the street and have the city tow it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I tried contacting him twice regarding the boat...
View Quote

How did you attempt the contact?  If by phone and you left messages, his new wife may not have passed the info along to him.  If by email, well email sent <> email received.

Does he live close enough that you can take it to his place and drop it off?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Personally, its one of those things where I would rather have in my name vs using it in someone else's name who seems to want no contact. But I don't want to just get rid of it, such as Leave it on the street and have the city tow it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand wanting it in your name but what is it worth to you? Essentially we are talking about you taking it from him. Since there are no restrictions on your use of the boat I would just keep on doing what you're doing and try to find the guy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone for the input. The only way I could message him was by facebook,which shows seen, but by him? Who knows. He got a different #(probably from all the debt collectors calling) and lives about 2-3 hours from me. Pretty good idea, but no exact location. I'll keep trying to contact him and hope for the best.

Again, thanks everyone for the input.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Does your state offer service by publication? I bet it does.  Look that up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Oddly enough I picked up a newspaper over the weekend with this question.

The answer was that you have to keep the stuff for six years.   THEN you have to give it to (I forgot- the cops, or AG or somebody) but you don't get to keep it nor can you sell it.  You may be able to claim compensation for storage.

The other option is to take the stuff TO the person in question.  If they refuse it then it is considered abandoned property and you can do as you wish with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top