Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 8:16:26 PM EDT
We moved to this state in the summer of 2009. We purchased a home in the last week of December 2009.
We had everything done by the book as regards title search and liens before we bought it. We even
purchased title insurance as part of the sale.

About a year later we started receiving notices from the city that we owed property taxes on the home
for the years 2006-2009. I think they have now decided to put a lien on the property for those old
taxes. The amount owed is around $1,400.00.

I do not want to give in to them & their bullying tactics because they did not do their proper
paperwork. I had paperwork sent to them from the title company proving to them that a proper
title search had been done. It's the principle of the matter for me. I do not owe them money for
another persons lack of payment.

Would I be better off just paying the taxes, or should I contact a lawyer?

Thanks in advance! :)
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact your title insurance company.  This is precisely what you paid them for.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact your title insurance company.  This is precisely what you paid them for.
View Quote

This 100%  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  They can hire a lawyer to deal with it if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
For a small amount the Title Insurer may just pay the bill.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Either the city screwed up and didn't file a lein or the title insurer didn't do a proper search.

I do note, however, that the title insurer may have an out; they only insure matters that are part of the public record.  If the city has a legit, unrecorded lein the insurer may be able to avoid covering it.  You'll then need to duke it with the city on your own (or rather, your lawyer's own).
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The Title company, or your lawyer, would also tell you if there was a  statute of limitations on the claim for back taxes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If the city has a legit, unrecorded lein the insurer may be able to avoid covering it.
View Quote

This is probably a good guess.  In the dozens of times I've dealt with title insurance, I've never seen them pay a penny.z
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
What did your purchase agreement cover for taxes?

One property I had covered taxes for the remainder of the year. Another one said the taxes for the first 5 months were not paid (they paid every 6 months there). All of this was disclosed in the contract.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What did your purchase agreement cover for taxes?

One property I had covered taxes for the remainder of the year. Another one said the taxes for the first 5 months were not paid (they paid every 6 months there). All of this was disclosed in the contract.
View Quote

I have always seen taxes prorated between the buyer and seller down to the day of settlement.

What is the lien for?
Some cannot be extinguished and live forever until paid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top