Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 12:25:53 PM EDT
I had not found anyone to buy my house so we rented it out for the past 6 months problem is that we have only been payed for little over half the time now we are kicking the people out and I'm going to take them to court for the back rent as I'm guessing they are not going to give it to me after they get kicked out. What I would like to know is if there is someway I can effect there credit so these people can't just walk away. Might sound like I'm being a jack ass but them not paying there rent screws me and my family over. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about credit reporting stuff but ask the your attorney or the judge if you don't have an attorney about a writ of possession if you really want to fuck them back.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Serve them with eviction papers and will have to take them to court. Will prolly end up Garnishing their wages to recoup any money. Problem is they can still stay.there for 3 more months rent free, until the deputy shows up to boot them out. This is depending on state law. Don't mean to be a downer but I speak from experience. My townhouse was trashed after they stayed for 6 months free and deputy.evicted them.while they yelled "you racist"...this was in Va.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I had not found anyone to buy my house so we rented it out for the past 6 months problem is that we have only been payed for little over half the time now we are kicking the people out and I'm going to take them to court for the back rent as I'm guessing they are not going to give it to me after they get kicked out. What I would like to know is if there is someway I can effect there credit so these people can't just walk away. Might sound like I'm being a jack ass but them not paying there rent screws me and my family over. Thanks for the advice.
View Quote

You need to ask a lawyer familiar with the landlord/tenant laws in your state. Your options in ND may be very different from an landlord in another state.

I don't mean to be "that guy", but you should have done that anyway before renting your place out.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe this will help in the future...

Experian Individual Landlords
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You evict them.Rules vary from state to state and even from city to city.
Sometimes the rules change depending on how many rental properties you own.
This can sometimes be gotten around by how you hold multiple properties.

Consult whomever you use as an RE attorney for how to proceed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry about the tenant problems. You'll have to learn to be a hardass if you continue,  miss a rent payment and you start eviction, no sob stories, no nothing. If you have a bit of extra $$$ then speak with an attorney familiar with garnishment laws in your state. Useless though if they don't have a steady job or income though. If you get a judgement, go through a legit collections agency even though they will take a cut and tell them you want it reported to the credit agencies.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks I'm going through the legal part right now I have to send a notice and give them 5 days to pay up the realtor we are using showed up at the house and told them she needed photos of the home(It's still up for sale with her.) so she got photos all over the home in case they damage it in anyway. They do not know yet that we are going to kick them out. Wife feels bad about kicking them out since they have kids I told her I really don't care because first time they where late was because they took a family trip to FL then lied to us saying they sent it out before they left. They are so dumb they don't think that the Mail service posts the date on mail and when the date is a week after it said it was sent makes you think.

I don't think I'm some hard ass and really I'm a nice understanding guy. Tell me "I'm going on a family trip and want the extra money can I pay you when I get back?" I would have been OK with that and said fine! But they lied they lie all the time and I hate people who can't just own up! Think it is from being a Cop and being lied to all the time by people trying to get out of trouble! I talked to the guy and told him tell me the truth it will set you free and I understand thing! Then they send the payments late two more times and lie lie and lie more they give sob stories to our realtor who is the property manager about being laid off and hurt.  I called and he told me the same thing I asked why his wife can work? He said "She watches the kids!" Really l ask him why can't he watch the kids? Answer "I don't know how."

I know male ego kind of hard to be Mr. Mom but I'm doing it right now and have done it in the past when I did not work! Just useless lazy people who lie and have to much pride to take a job that they feel that is below them! Hell I left my job as a Cop $80K year 70+ hour weeks never seeing the family took a chance the railroad would pick me up I'm told that they have me on stand by will not get the July start date like I was told. Yet I'm looking at being a bartender working at Manards and other stores to help make ends meet. ( You should see how funny it is how many places don't want to hire me because I was a Cop!! Security places really don't like us!" Job is a job and if I was 23 like this guy I would have done the same thing I did when I was his age and serve in the military because I could not find a job and NEEDED to take care of my family!

Sorry for the rant! Feel a little better is spelling and grammar suck mostly because I was mad and it sucks all the time anyway! Again sorry for the rant!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]
These types move from place to place and do the same thing again and again.  Don't be sorry for them.

No, you'll never get your money.   You'll get a judgment at best which will be good for wallpaper.  

Good you have the eviction process started, move it fast, as others said it takes six months to get them out.

Good thing you have the photos.  I would make good copies and give them to the renters with the advice that there will be weekly inspections and if anything is damaged you will seek criminal, not civil action immediately.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
File Summary Ejectment Papers

Go to court

Obtain money judgement and possession of the property

the money judgement is reported to the credit bureau by the courthouse.  you don't need to do anything save letting the courthouse know if / when you receive any payments relating to the money judgement.  

As stated above, research ND Tenant / Landlord laws.  Shouldn't need an attorney as this is typically a small claims case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top