Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2015 12:12:00 PM EDT
I'll give the cliff notes before getting to the question.  Wife was injured at work, going through rehab. Was getting better Was then in an auto accident (rear ended). It's been almost a year since the work injury and 8 months since the car accident. She worked for the County. Just recently got a final medical review that states she now has permanent partial disability so that she cannot return to her previous work. She can work but has weight restrictions, nothing involving reaching overhead or repetitive motion. The County will not fire her but they have no jobs currently that fit her restrictions. They are trying to make her take 6 weeks FMLA and then they said they may have temp clerical work basically all over the County. We wanted to file unemployment but you cant do that while on fmla.I think theres just trying to get her to quit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Myself I would not advise her to file for the FLMA, because at the point once 8 wks has past they can cut her loose no questions asked. From your post it seems that she never returned to work after the WC injury. Looks like a good attorney is in order, who's to say that the light duty work restrictions are due to the injury that happened on the job or the wreck.

Please....none of this is legal advice that you should rely on.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Myself I would not advise her to file for the FLMA, because at the point once 8 wks has past they can cut her loose no questions asked. From your post it seems that she never returned to work after the WC injury. Looks like a good attorney is in order, who's to say that the light duty work restrictions are due to the injury that happened on the job or the wreck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]

But I in my job I deal with associates that file for FMLA leaves. If they fail to return to work with in 8 wks, the company normally allows an extra 2 wk window grace period, after that point I'm instruct to post their old job.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But I in my job I deal with associates that file for FMLA leaves. If they fail to return to work with in 8 wks, the company normally allows an extra 2 wk window grace period, after that point I'm instruct to post their old job.
View Quote

Federal FMLA is 12 weeks.  Can be longer in certain states.  For example, DC is 16 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Federal FMLA is 12 weeks.  Can be longer in certain states.  For example, DC is 16 weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, Not sure why I typed 8 wks , in NC we have the 12 wk window. Like I had posted earlier once the "window" of the FMLA is exhausted the job is no longer guaranteed plain & simple. Under Workman comp that is not the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top