Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2015 4:08:09 PM EDT
So I was at a complete stop at a red light with a vehicle behind me. While the light was still red the driver randomly accelerated into the back of my vehicle causing what I estimate to be about $1200.00 in damage as well as injuring my lower back (which I sought treatment for).

My Insurance suggested a lawyer as they are going to file a claim with the at fault drivers insurance company (for medical comp as well as vehicle comp). What am I getting into here? I've never had this happen and its moving FAST!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
4 to 5 times the med bills MAY
be the end amount settled
sample
5k in medical x5 = 25,000.00
then deduct fees -n- sometimes repairs

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, did you really come here for legal advice?  Consult a lawyer in your state!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, did you really come here for legal advice?  Consult a lawyer in your state!!
View Quote

I already have but to be honest I wasn't planning on needing legal advice until I talked to my insurance provider. I've never dealt with this before, I've been hit from behind before and normally just file a claim with the person insurance company.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
In most states, your insurance company will take care of you, then they go after the at-fault party for the losses.

I guess I'm confused, are you at odds with your insurance company or the at-fault's insurance company, or are you trying to get money for pain & suffering?

If you just want med bills and vehicle replacement taken care of then your Ins. co. should take care of that and they will go after the other party.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
In what city are you located?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I already have but to be honest I wasn't planning on needing legal advice until I talked to my insurance provider. I've never dealt with this before, I've been hit from behind before and normally just file a claim with the person insurance company.
View Quote

Agree it is odd and has never happened to me.

Perhaps they were trying to tell you how get payment beyond what you are insured for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Perhaps they were trying to tell you how get payment beyond what you are insured for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talked to the medical claim assistant today, that's exactly the case.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
what are the limits of your under insured uninsured policy?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what are the limits of your under insured uninsured policy?
View Quote

They will max out at whatever his own limits are. In FL, you can only carry as much Un/Under as you carry for your own liability. You can have less, but not more.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've learned too many times to count:

When in doubt, get representation.

Rule to live by man.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
sample

View Quote

You can easily get three times your meds without a lawyer.  The lawyer gets the rest if you get more.  Don't get a lawyer involved unless you are truly fucked up and the insurance isn't playing ball.  I have done it twice, successfully, no lawyer.  

The first time I did consult with a lawyer, but not hire.  This was the exact advice he gave me.

If your insurance payed your medical bill, you will have to pay them back if you receive a settlement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can easily get three times your meds without a lawyer.  The lawyer gets the rest if you get more.  Don't get a lawyer involved unless you are truly fucked up and the insurance isn't playing ball.  I have done it twice, successfully, no lawyer.  

The first time I did consult with a lawyer, but not hire.  This was the exact advice he gave me.

If your insurance payed your medical bill, you will have to pay them back if you receive a settlement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sample

Given that defending insurance companies is what I do for a living, I would not do this. Consult an attorney you know who does not do PI, and ask him or her who are the most feared plaintiffs attorneys in that game. Then go to them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Given that defending insurance companies is what I do for a living, I would not do this. Consult an attorney you know who does not do PI, and ask him or her who are the most feared plaintiffs attorneys in that game. Then go to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sample

We're in Florida, the radio says its John Morgan.... For The People.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sample

Usually people who advertise like that are not people who you would want to use, hence why I said find another attorney who does not handle that type of work and ask him or her.. Morgan & Morgan does have a few guys who are actually pretty good trial lawyers however, at least on their products liability team. They've hit several multi-million dollar jury verdicts over the last several years against some of the best defense attorneys in the country. I have no idea how the guys who handle their run of the mill cases are though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that but there may be damage that doesn't show up right away.  You can bet your life though that if the insurance cuts you a check that it will be a final settlement, with a place for you to sign to acknowledge the same.  If you have injuries that show up later then you are just SOL.

ETA: Property damage (your vehicle) will be settled very quickly and you won't have much wiggle room there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not only that but there may be damage that doesn't show up right away.  You can bet your life though that if the insurance cuts you a check that it will be a final settlement, with a place for you to sign to acknowledge the same.  If you have injuries that show up later then you are just SOL.

ETA: Property damage (your vehicle) will be settled very quickly and you won't have much wiggle room there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dad, is that you? My father said that exact thing when I told him about the accident. Anyways, thanks everyone. I have a lawyer, I'm getting my back patched up and the ball is rolling.

All I'm able to say right now, I'll try to give an update at the end of this ordeal.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dad, is that you? My father said that exact thing when I told him about the accident. Anyways, thanks everyone. I have a lawyer, I'm getting my back patched up and the ball is rolling.

All I'm able to say right now, I'll try to give an update at the end of this ordeal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  No, just a guy that's been down this road before.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there a reason your insurance company isn't providing any legal representation?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there a reason your insurance company isn't providing any legal representation?
View Quote

Is it customary that my insurance provide a lawyer?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top