Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 4:48:39 PM EDT
Im wanting to sell a home privately and I'm looking for advice from folks that have done such a thing.

I figure maybe I can contact an attorney to draw up the paper work, but really have no idea what needs to be done if I want to sell my house without using a realtor.  I'm not even sure where to start.

I have a interested buyer already.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold one of my houses myself.  I think I got advice from a realtor friend.  Had to hire a title company to handle the title paperwork.

I'm lucky things didn't go bad, I would advise consulting a real estate attorney.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Go through a title clerk.  We sold our house with a do-it-yourself contract.  The buyer depositied earnest money with the title clerk and we set the closing date.  It was an easy deal.

Realtor will cost you 6-7% but will get you lots of exposure...listing and showings.  We got around that by staging our house and putting up a "for sale" sign.  We had planned on an advertised open house (in the local paper) but found a buyer much quicker.  We did m,arket research before selling to determine what we could ask and then under-cut the market (basically discounting the realtor fees in the price) which led to us selling within 45 minutes of putting the sign up in the front yard.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres the scoop

I still have a mortage on the house.  My wife and I looking are planning to build a home on our property we own. I refuse to end up with two mortages so I want to sell this home and rent something while we build.   My in-laws have expressed intrest in buying our house as they currently rent and have for years, and they plan to financing the money for purchasing our house.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Title company handles most of the logistics.  It's worth having an attorney take a quick look at the contract just to make sure nothing is messed up (but most (or all?) states have a standard real estate purchase contract that is pretty simple).  A basic residential property sale pretty much follows the same process every time.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
(but most (or all?) states have a standard real estate purchase contract that is pretty simple)
View Quote

Far from all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Far from all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(but most (or all?) states have a standard real estate purchase contract that is pretty simple)

Far from all.

Typically the standard real estate contract is not put out by the state but by the state bar and the state realtors.

In Florida the Florida Board of Realtors and Florida Bar put out the "far-bar" contract that the Realtors typically use on residential contracts.

A quick google search came up with this sample:

If you are selling your house to someone you know then you can go to your local (and experienced) real estate attorney.  They probably also have a title company and they will take care of all the paperwork for you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone. I will look up a local real estate lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Have the buyers been pre-approved?
Contracts can be found online. Fill out contract, sign, send to mortgage lender and attorney. Very little work on your part from there.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Contracts can be found online. Fill out contract, sign, send to mortgage lender and attorney. Very little work on your part from there.

View Quote

Except for a bunch of federally required notices like lead paint.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All disclosures should be generated by the mortgage lender and/or attorney.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
That's the difference between a real estate agent and a real estate attorney. You don't need a real estate agent but you should always have a real estate attorney handle the details of the transaction. It doesn't usually cost much.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks

I made a couple of phone calls late this afternoon to attorneys. Will hopefully know more tomorrow and will be getting the ball rolling soon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my house off a guy I work with. All we used was a lawyer to draw it up and do the paperwork. No issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top