Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2015 1:33:37 PM EDT
I am in charge of creating the Operations portion of our employee handbook and work for an employer who will in fact honor a Texas CHL.  So here you go guys, I actually represent an employer who is going to allow it.  :)
Currently there is no written policy, but I am in charge of creating one.  The handbook we were using as a guideline is from a sister office in California so you can imagine the insanity in there.  I have managed to rip out all the crazy (like us searching vehicles if someone thinks you may have a firearm) but I need to get the wording correct on legal concealed carry in the office.  

This is actually a business office...HR, Finance, programmers.  Not the type of place most folks would think would honor CHL's.  Our parent company is very big into military history restoration, conservation, and veteran support.  Being that we are in Lib heavy Austin only makes us that much more of an anomaly I suppose.  

I will probably not be able to answer any direct questions relating to who we are (several of my coworkers are actually members here), but I would love input from you guys on how to amend the employee handbook!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think a policy 'allowing' it was necessary?
Isn't it legal unless specifically prohibited?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
the personal possession of weapons at [company x] facilities and events that are not in compliance with Texas law is prohibited.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That seems to be straight and to the point!
The key here is that typical legal possession (say of a rifle) is not allowed on company property unless it has prior approval, but the legal carrying of a concealed handgun is.  Though I guess I could just state that in the handbook which would be considered prior approval in that case.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the personal possession of weapons at [company x] facilities and events that are not in compliance with Texas law is prohibited.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Might want to decide if you want to permit open carry.  Sounds like we won't get Constitutional pistol open carry, but might get it for CHL holders.  Kudos to your office.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The key here is that typical legal possession (say of a rifle) is not allowed on company property unless it has prior approval, but the legal carrying of a concealed handgun is.  Though I guess I could just state that in the handbook which would be considered prior approval in that case.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
the personal possession of weapons at [company x] facilities and events that are not in compliance with Texas law is prohibited. The open carry of any weapon is prohibited unless prior written approval is granted.

Added part in blue.

Thank you sir, please contact my secretary to settle the bill.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you guys!  You are definitely helping to make us a better workplace!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Caveman simple.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Keep it holstered unless the situation requires gunfire.

That would be my policy.  No finger-fucking and show n' tell on company grounds..
View Quote

"...and if such a situation arises, judicial marksmanship is appreciated."

I saw it on a sign once.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, given the fact that most places have policies PROHIBITING it, isn't it nice to know some places want to add policies ALLOWING it?

Policy prohibiting it= Whiny employees getting folks fired because guns are icky.
Policy allowing it= Whiny employees who think guns are icky can go pound sand.

Quoted:

Caveman simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Caveman simple.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, given the fact that most places have policies PROHIBITING it, isn't it nice to know some places want to add policies ALLOWING it?

Policy prohibiting it= Whiny employees getting folks fired because guns are icky.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Caveman simple.

Austin, programmers, CHL-friendly... hiring?

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
We are in fact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top