Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2015 5:24:23 PM EDT
I'm interested in taking up target shooting and hunting as hobbies, and I want to buy a gun, but I have concerns about whether or not I would pass a background check: 1) I was committed to the mental ward when I was in 8th grade.  2) I did dumb things in college while drunk.

Explanations: 1. My parents' marriage was on the rocks while I was a minor, and they took it out on me.  I haven't had any mental health issues beyond the average college stresses after I moved out, I'm not on any medication or seeing a shrink, and I've never been adjudicated or legally declared mentally anything.  I was committed to the loony ward and the bad seed academy purely at my parent's discretion, on my parents' dime.  I've never been to jail.

2. I don't drink very often.  I'm not alcohol dependent.  But when I drink, I get wasted blackout puking drunk.  And I had an embarrassing incident in Fall of last year which ended with me spending the night in the ER.  I'd been chugging shots of whiskey and I don't remember what else, I'd been kicked out of a bar for being a nuisance, and I was angry so I vented my grievance by verbally accosting a bunch of randoms with the intention of provoking them to beat me to death.  It made sense at the time...and yes I know it was idiotic.  No punches were exchanged, but the police came to get me, handcuffs etc., because I'd been "threatening suicide."  So they had to take me to the ER.  I calmed down after that, had a urine test, it showed that I was completely plastered, and I went home the next morning my normal self (albeit mortified by my own behavior.)  I've never gotten in any actual fights or damaged any property while drunk, no DUI's, none of that.  

Are the things from when I was a minor or the drunken stupidity incident going to count against me on the background check?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you should be fine assuming no court ordered mental care and no felony convictions.

As a side note : I'd calm down on the alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe you should be fine assuming no court ordered mental care and no felony convictions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank goodness.  No court orders, no felonies.

As a side note : I'd calm down on the alcohol.

Yeah I agree, I learned my lesson.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
if you have never been convicted of anything you should be good to go.

Same if a court has not committed you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
There is one sure fire way to find out, go buy a gun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
That is quite a loaded question considering the post count.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have copied the instructions for mentally defective question on the 4473.  Notice the bold lines.

I was too hospitalized in the psych ward when I was younger.  I know that I was never court ordered to stay.  I was put on a 72 hour hold for observation because I wouldn't voluntarily commit myself.  This was all because my mother requested it.

I was assured by an uncle, who is an attorney that as long as I wasn't ordered by a court for anything more than observation that I was fine.  Many purchases later and no issues.  Hope this helps OP.

Question 11.f. Adjudicated Mentally Defective:
A determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) is a danger to himself or to others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (1) a finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case; and (2) Those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.

Committed to a Mental Institution:
A formal commitment of a person to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority. The term includes a commitment to a mental institution involuntarily. The term includes commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness. It also includes commitments for other reasons, such as for drug use. The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental institution. Please also refer to Question 11.c. for the definition of a prohibited person.

EXCEPTION to 11. f. NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007:
A person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution is not prohibited if: (1) the person was adjudicated or committed by a department or agency of the Federal Government, such as the United States Department of Veteran’s Affairs (“VA”) (as opposed to a State court, State board, or other lawful State authority); and (2) either: (a) the person’s adjudication or commitment for mental incompetency was set-aside or expunged by the adjudicating/committing agency; (b) the person has been fully released or discharged from all mandatory treatment, supervision, or monitoring by the agency; or (c) the person was found by the agency to no longer suffer from the mental health condition that served as the basis of the initial adjudication. Persons who fit this exception should answer “no” to Item 11.f. This exception does not apply to any person who was adjudicated to be not guilty by reason of insanity, or based on lack of mental responsibility, or found incompetent to stand trial, in any criminal case or under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you'll pass.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do you not consult with a good attorney to determine your true legal status concerning the purchase of a firearm?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That shouldn't even be on anything that will show up since you were underage. Take a look at the form and make sure you don't have to answer yes to any of the questions then go down and try buying a lower or something. You shouldn't even get delayed. Sounds like you really should not drink at all or you definitely would be putting your rights at risk and maybe even other people. A night of partying is never worth risking it all brother!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top