Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2015 11:30:01 PM EDT
I heard from a fellow shooter at the range that there is a campaign to take cans off the NFA list. What is the status of this and what's the scuttlebutt on the likelihood of success? I've never heard of it.

I'd probably be able to find the cash for one if this happened.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no campaign. There are some efforts out there, but I wouldn't hold your breathe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever seen a tax go away?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^This!^
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Changing it from a tax + crazy paperwork + in-depth background analysis + long wait time, to just "a tax that can be paid at initial purchase time and submitted by vendor"  would be probably a huge net revenue increase for the gov.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heh...you have a point!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Changing it from a tax + crazy paperwork + in-depth background analysis + long wait time, to just "a tax that can be paid at initial purchase time and submitted by vendor"  would be probably a huge net revenue increase for the gov.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're assuming the tax is about raising revenue...  I assure you, it is not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was to tax NFA items out of existence!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I mistaken, or is the 2A the only part of the Bill of Rights that you have to pay a tax to practice?  

I can't imagine having the press pay a tax for each editorial published or having to pay a tax to have a trial by jury, etc...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not do an "in-depth background analysis", just a simple records check.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Poll tax?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
OK so it looks like there's at least something out now in the form of SilencerCo's #FightTheNoise campaign. This really got me excited, until I went to the ASA page and read this:

"...There are more than 45,000 Form 4 Applications in backlog at the NFA Branch. This represents over $9 million in tax revenue..."

Nine million dollars??? Wow, this uphill battle just got steeper; maybe impossibly steep. No way they're gonna let that go, even if you assume suppressors are only percentage of that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#12]
$9m isn't shit. Particularly when collecting it costs money too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top