Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:51:57 PM EDT
Was having a conversation at work today discussing divorce, re marriage & the impact on child & spousal support. This person told me that if you re marry during the child support / spousal support time your ex can take you back to court & ask for an increase in both as your income has increased. ( combined income apprx 400k yr ) This sounds bat shit crazy ! Any truth to this ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No, not in CA, anyway, not sure about Washington, but I'd imagine it is similar. I am not a lawyer but my wife was curious about this when we got married so we looked into it. Basically, I have no "financial responsibility" to the children, just because I earn an income, the father is not able to get out of his obligation to provide for his children. Same for spousal support, if you are paying your ex wife, your current wife's income has no bearing, she has no legal responsibility to provide for your ex. However, if your ex was to marry someone you could have spousal support re-ealuated since she no longer "required" the money you were paying her to live.

Now, in some extreme cases a judge can consider the combined income but those types of judgements are rare.

Here's a link to help you out :

http://dadsdivorce.com/articles/the-financial-impact-of-remarriage/
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top