Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2014 8:54:48 AM EDT
Our family is considering traveling to Maine this next year to visit family. That travel will take us through New York to get there. I'm a CCW holder and the question is not about transport of a handgun and/or rifle the nraila does a good job of explaining that, but could I be arrested or have them confiscated if we are pulled over? I've looked at the maps and there is no way to avoid driving through the state. Should I contact the state and attempt to get permission?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you read Fopa? If so, then you just have to adhere to NY safe act transportation laws. Which i am minimally educated on.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Our family is considering traveling to Maine this next year to visit family. That travel will take us through New York to get there. I'm a CCW holder and the question is not about transport of a handgun and/or rifle the nraila does a good job of explaining that, but could I be arrested or have them confiscated if we are pulled over? I've looked at the maps and there is no way to avoid driving through the state. Should I contact the state and attempt to get permission?
View Quote

Supposedly, there's a Federal law that protects gun owners who are travelling through the state. There are stories, though, of NYJBTs who don't know or don't  follow the law.

Safe passage provision

IMO being unfairly and illegally jailed is about as uncomfortable and expensive as being legally busted.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You ma be better off going through Canada.....
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Except in general you can not bring guns into Canada. Possible but huge hassle to get proper paperwork.

-------------

IIRC NY and NJ have arrested and prosecuted people and let them try to get a Not Guilty by imposing FOPA. Expensive hassle with odds not necessarily on your side.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Except in general you can not bring guns into Canada. Possible but huge hassle to get proper paperwork.

-------------

IIRC NY and NJ have arrested and prosecuted people and let them try to get a Not Guilty by imposing FOPA. Expensive hassle with odds not necessarily on your side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-------------

Sarcasm, even with a hassle of paperwork, NY/NJ are not safe for gun owners traveling through
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never heard of fopa so I will need to Google that. I've heard other horror stories of people being arrested and of course I would like to avoid that. At the same time traveling across the country with my wife and four children unarmed doesn't sit well with me either. We are planning this and still at least 6 months out from it so I have time to research. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem is that FOPA has turned out to be far weaker than intended, in practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top