Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2014 7:00:29 AM EDT
Middle of a divorce, house, kids, spousal support (huge), spouse at 0 income.
What would be the best way to file as I know the spousal support is taxable to the other party if filing separate, however there is so much unknown that something could come back to bite me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Never mind.  Didn't read your post as carefully as I should have...
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Middle of a divorce, house, kids, spousal support (huge), spouse at 0 income.
What would be the best way to file as I know the spousal support is taxable to the other party if filing separate, however there is so much unknown that something could come back to bite me.

Thanks
View Quote

So let them pay taxes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend consulting with an accountant.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If the divorce is final before the end of the year, you will file single, or head of household if you have dependent children in the house.

I don't think you can deduct alimony if your filing status is married (whether joint or separate).
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the divorce is final before the end of the year, you will file single, or head of household if you have dependent children in the house.

I don't think you can deduct alimony if your filing status is married (whether joint or separate).
View Quote

You status for the whole year is at the end of the day on December 31 at midnight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top